First song for a long time

Jags

Enough Said - http://www.nowhereradio.com/blameyourelf/singles

I used to post stuff on this board a couple of years ago when I first started out recording, and after a lengthy abscence to finish a degree I've had all summer to write and record. I've recorded most of the tracks for about 8 songs and today I finally got down to mixing.

'Enough Said' is the first attempt. The volume is pretty low, I tried using a compression/mastering plugin (endorphin) to bring the volume up but it was distoring it too much so i decided to leave it. It definitely sounds a lot better than any of my previous efforts (which are thankfully not available on the web anymore since ampcast started charging a lot more than i wanted to pay!) and my songwriting has probably improved a lot...

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you think of the mix, you guys taught me a lot of what I know in that respect! Cubase wouldn't let me do fade ins/outs etc on the individual tracks for some reason (?) so it's a bit rough around the edges.

Cheers

Jamie
(Jags)

PS My brother played the lead guitar part.

cool arrangement. Nice tune and singing. The drums were a little to out front and shadowing the the rythymic instruments a bit. When the crunch guitar came in somewhere around 2:00 the vocals started losing some definition. Guitar maybe a little hot or vocals needs coming up. The drums sat back a little better after that and didn`t dominate the ryhtym so much. Bass could be a tad brighter and punchier. Overall pretty good.

Thanks toki, I see what you mean, definitely muddiness when everything kicks. I'll have a play around with it today and see if can fix it!

Jamie

Ok, I've changed the levels of the drums, guitars and vocals. Also played about with the bass and vocal eq. Hopefully should have tightened it up a bit?

Jamie

Thanks Ghost, I'm still in the process of getting the feel for eq so your suggestion is appreciated! Glad you liked it.

Jamie

Back