The first song I recorded ever.

Nik D

Another brick in the wall
I was sorting through a mountain of cds last nite and found the album I recorded with my first band I was ever in. Nothing big, just 3 of my highschool buddies and I rocking out. Well that was about 3 years ago, and we wanted to do a recording, so we all chipped in 50 bucks and we snagged a 16ch Samson mixer off of ebay. Recorded through said mixer, live to 2, into the computer soundcard, and recorded with Magix pro studio. All guitars going through cheap effects processors and one radio shack mic hanging over the drums. This song has lots of memories for me, first song I ever wrote with my first band, first recording I ever made, first take even. This is the song that made we want to be an engineer. http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1627&alid=-1

I can hear the talent, but the recording negates the presence of the flow somewhat.
The kit seems thrown in w/o definition; the kick needs more bottom while the snare is bit lost and begging for space.
Luv'd the straight-forward chord progression via the git leading to a hellaciously enjoyable lead solo (those so-called cheap efx you used did a pretty nice job). Gimme some bass!!!! Boost the gain on that bad-boy and add a weeeee-bit middy for rounding.

Overall, I liked this and with some tweaks here and there, this joint can become powerful!

Again, ya'll got some great talent!!!

pretty awesome playing. Would be great to hear a newer recording of it. For a first effort, it's pretty good. Better than mine....:(
thanks for sharing it!
Jason

Thanks for the comments, unfortuanatly there's no way I could have even changed the mix. We did a quick sound check before we had at it and that was it. If we didn't like it we would have had to play the entrire song again. Back when I recorded this I didn't have any multitrack sound cards or anything. Actually I didn't even know anything about recording, I just figured it out as we went along.

At the beginning? You're right, it does sound like an obvious edit, but I'm pretty sure that it's just the 2 guitarists switching from clean to distorted. I don't think I knew how to automate punch-ins way back then, which is the only way we could have done it with me playing drums too.

"Play it Purty for Atlanta" lol

this really reminds me of Freebird when it comes in to the first distorted/solo section. Pretty cool for a first effort.

Back