First Recording in the Studio -"Falling in Love"

Comanchesniper

Hi, My name is Michael. I am very new here. Done a bunch or reading and listening. I could sure use some help.

This is my friend Sheradee who asked me to record some tracks for her. I could use som advise on how to make her recording really shine.

Any help is appreciated! This is the raw recording mixed with Midi Piano on Sonar X1.

Falling in Love by Sheradee Ann Lee

Last edited:
It's quite distorted - I guess it's because of the re-encoding Soundcloud does (this isn't so noticeable on busier productions) - any chance of a download link?

I couldn't find the download link in cloudland.
Listened to the stream- it does sound like there're some comnversion artifacts but not the ones I've associated with SCloud; more like the ones that happen with a very low res MP3.
There's certainly some distortion but that sounds like part of the recording process.
This is a good song, the accompaniment is sparse and simple which means that you'll need to pay VERY close attantion to detail in recording. Voice is the hardest thing to work with & the set of sounds that demonstrate damage easiest.
I think you ought to do this song justice by rerecording it.
Leave plenty of headroom in the recording - so that there's no clipping on the way in and make sure the room you are using is either as dead as possible or has a sound you like.
The midi paino sounds so so. I'd search for a richer sounding one if you're going leave the arrangement sparse.

ray - the download button is above and to the right of the play button on the soundcloud player.

Yeah, this has some strange distortion the likes of which I'm not really familiar with. It sounded like the vocal was captured pretty well, but then there's this underlying crackling bed of whatever it is. It isn't overpowering, but it is definitely noticeable and problematic. I can't tell if it is an artifact of file conversion or imbedded in the recording...?

Back