first recording with an actual bass guitar...

heatmiser

mr. green christmas
Hi,

I have been using my sg to record the bass lines on my tunes for years. This is often the weak link (other than the drum machine, guitars and vocals) in my recordings. Well, a friend of mine visited a few weeks back and brought a cheap Dean bass with him, and we recorded some stuff in my garage. I love the expanded range of sound with the bass vs. an electric guit posing as a bass. I am not a bassist, but how'd I do?

If you have a chance, please check this out and let me know how the rhythm section sounds. I am trying to get a passable drum/bass sound. The drums are a dr rhythm drum machine mic'd from a guitar amp. I think I may be getting closer to a natural sound, but maybe not?

My friend is playing the scratchy sounding guitar panned left, my sg is panned center, and I overdubbed a 3rd guitar with auto-wah on the right. I apologize for the length.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=660667&songID=6786108

Cool jam heatmiser, a little Claptonesque, maybe the Band vibe to it... Mix sounds good - do you get to keep the bass? :)

That Dean bass sounds pretty good. When I was looking at getting my first 5 string, I wanted a Dean because of the price versus tone. I couldn't get one because there were issues back in wherever the hell they are made and I would go on a 6-9 month waiting list. I settled for (wrong choice of words in hindsight, but at the time...) an ESP B-205 for the same price as the Dean. Found out later that I was given about 3x's the amount of guitar for the price. I still like Dean basses for the tone, but I won't buy one now...

I really like the jam. It's not too long, and there are not real nits that I can find. The bass is a tad boomy, but it still holds down the rhythm section witout taking it over.

Ido - Thanks for listening!...Sadly, no, the bass - along with my friend, flew back to Seattle weeks ago. But I hope to get my own soon (even a cheap one) and this was good practice.

Thank you as well Rokket! This bass had great action and stayed in tune nicely, but I thought the sound was less than full. I may have created some boom by overcompensating with EQ or something.

Nice groove that held my interest. I like the vintage sounding tones on the guitar parts. Yeah, nice jam for sure.

Sounds great! Love the guitars. The bass does have a nice round bottom end to it...very nice jam. Drums are a bit dry...throw some verb on that snare:D

Nice groove that held my interest. I like the vintage sounding tones on the guitar parts. Yeah, nice jam for sure.

Thanks master of riffs...I have pretty old guitars and amps and am always happy when others like the sound.

Sounds great! Love the guitars. The bass does have a nice round bottom end to it...very nice jam. Drums are a bit dry...throw some verb on that snare:D

Thanks for the listen k...

There's some spring reverb from the amp and a little digital hall reverb at mixdown, but yeah, still not quite there...better than many of my past efforts to mask the cheese of a digital drum machine though ;).

Hey, Heat, like the groove here. Great rhythm throughout. Dancin' in my seat with this one. I swear the git sounded like a muted trumpet in places, like Miles Davis or something. I love a good jam and this is one of them. Thanks

Hey, Heat, like the groove here. Great rhythm throughout. Dancin' in my seat with this one. I swear the git sounded like a muted trumpet in places, like Miles Davis or something. I love a good jam and this is one of them. Thanks

Awesome. Thanks X.

Dancin' is the desired effect here...cool.

Back