First "Real" One

panoramical

It's called "Fall to the Floor"...sort of my first complete one if you will!

Lyrics are pretty simple...

FALL TO THE FLOOR
Download/Play
---
Fall to the Floor,
Keep staring at the sky and watch your dreams,
They're floating by and fighting for release.

On the shore,
There's a light shining but at you is where it won't be.
It seems that every morning the church bells are ringing in a minor key
You're stuck in a world that will never set you free.
Free...

(All night long I keep thinking about the way you should have lived...)

Fall to the Floor,

(I'll never hurt you nor will I set you free)
(I'll never want you to beg me for release)

Fall to the Floor,
---

Bear in mind I'm only 16...so take from that what you will. If you want to hear other stuff, I've got some more to be recorded that I'll post if this gets a good enough response!
~Jack

sounds like you did the acoustic guitar as a direct input. personally i dislike the sound of a direct input acoustic electric... if you have any small diaphragm condensers, you should try them out on the acoustic. nice playing!!! i really like the bass line. you could easily make this a ska/reggae type song with a little bit of drums. i like the panning of the cymbols... is that a drum machine???

it sounds like you need a pop filter bad!!! the vocals have quite a few plosives and this adds a boomy sound. place the pop filter about 1-2" in front of the mic, and then place yourself (depending on your voice type and dynamic tendencies) about a foot away from the pop filter.

i like the effect on the guitar and the backing vocals...

things to watch out for... there are a lot of pops, this could be due to clipping in the recording chain, or it could have a lot to do with your computer not being fast enough. what program are you using??? i think it's a very very cool song bro, keep up the good work. I'm only 19, and i totally respect what you're doing, especially for your age!!!

Jacob

Jacobi1211 said:
sounds like you did the acoustic guitar as a direct input. personally i dislike the sound of a direct input acoustic electric... if you have any small diaphragm condensers, you should try them out on the acoustic. nice playing!!! i really like the bass line.
Thanks for your comments! That was indeed done with direct input...I had no other way to do it! It's with a Chet Atkins SST so I can't really mic it since it's solidbody. I haven't got a good enough amp or a good enough mic to mic the amp either. Thanks for the compliment about the bass line...that was in fact done with MIDI!

Jacobi1211 said:
...you could easily make this a ska/reggae type song with a little bit of drums. i like the panning of the cymbols... is that a drum machine???
I should add drums, but I hate programming them in! The panning is just done with a sweep filtery type of effect on the MIDI sound...

Jacobi1211 said:
it sounds like you need a pop filter bad!!! the vocals have quite a few plosives and this adds a boomy sound. place the pop filter about 1-2" in front of the mic, and then place yourself (depending on your voice type and dynamic tendencies) about a foot away from the pop filter.
Yep, I never actually thought about that before, so thanks very much for bringing it up. I'll take that on board.

Jacobi1211 said:
i like the effect on the guitar and the backing vocals...
things to watch out for... there are a lot of pops, this could be due to clipping in the recording chain, or it could have a lot to do with your computer not being fast enough. what program are you using??? i think it's a very very cool song bro, keep up the good work. I'm only 19, and i totally respect what you're doing, especially for your age!!!
I think the pops are due to the recording chain...I'm using Logic Express here on my Mac Mini. Great Program ;)
Thanks very much for your detailed response, it has very much helped me!

Back