First project - and and all comments much appreciated

Enchilada

Strange person.
Hey guys,

Been a long while since I've been around these parts. I've was asked my some friends of mine to record an EP for them and I've been super busy so the mixing is really starting to stretch out (we started in late 2010) & I really want to get it done.

Here's one of the tracks I've mixed. This is the first band I've worked with & I'd really like to hear people's thought's and opinions on the mix. If possible, be specific. Mention where I've gone right and equally importantly where I've gone wrong.

Thanks a bunch! :listeningmusic:

Ench

Last edited:
First project? This sounds way better than most first attempts, so congrats.

I have a couple observations: overall the mix sounds a bit thin, or maybe I should say a bit strident in the upper mids. I'd like to hear a bit more on the bottom end. Second, the vocals are good, but they're a tad bit dry (maybe just a touch of reverb or delay) and they're a bit far out front of the rest of the mix. The vocals sound appropriately compressed to fit in with the rest of the mix, so maybe they just need to come down a bit.

In any case, my comment was the first--so lets see what others have to say. Maybe I'm completely off base...

Thanks a bunch for your comments dude!

I did EQ out much everything under about 200 out of the vocals 2nd guitar and pretty much everything under 100 from everything other than the kick and bass. Before it just sounded too cloudy down there. I might give a little more low end to the guitars and see if that thickens it up a bit. With the vocals. I do have some reverb on there but not much. I used a second reverb in the final chorus on the clean vocal to beef it up a little. Do you think I should apply that to all the lead vocals?

Thanks a bunch for your comments dude!

I did EQ out much everything under about 200 out of the vocals 2nd guitar and pretty much everything under 100 from everything other than the kick and bass. Before it just sounded too cloudy down there. I might give a little more low end to the guitars and see if that thickens it up a bit. With the vocals. I do have some reverb on there but not much. I used a second reverb in the final chorus on the clean vocal to beef it up a little. Do you think I should apply that to all the lead vocals?

I hear you--I've been at this forever, and I still have trouble dialing in the bottom end. The guitars sounded good, maybe just bring up the bass a tad? And as far as the vocals go, I'd try just bringing them down a half db before adding the verb. Maybe that's all they need.

I hear you--I've been at this forever, and I still have trouble dialing in the bottom end. The guitars sounded good, maybe just bring up the bass a tad? And as far as the vocals go, I'd try just bringing them down a half db before adding the verb. Maybe that's all they need.

Bass up, vocals down. I'll give it a crack :D

The vocals are little forward for my tastes.
There's a def. sense of Aussie in the sound.
This is good.

Back