First Post --- Please critique my mix

Retrohazard

First Post --- My Carnival --- Good mix?

I feel pretty good about this mix at my current level of mixing. That being said I'm sure it could use better ears for some adjustments!

I would like to confirm this is "broadcast quality".

Let me know if this were your mix what you would try to improve on. Being brutally honest is great. I can take it!

Thanks!

NEW MASTERED TRACK:

MP3 Player SoundClick

Last edited:
First off welcome to the forum! Please take some time to check out other's tunes too and comment on them good or bad.

Anyway, I really like the song. When the chorus kicks in, its pretty badass. Not really a fan of the whole beginning instrument part. A couple of the sounds sound kinda cheesy compared to the rest of it(particularly the wind chime type sound). It also has some really low frequencies that the rest of the song doesn't have. So when the chorus kicks in, its pretty noticeable that the bottom end falls out. I am listening with a sub, so that may be part of it.

The song sounds really good and structured really well. Vocals sound really nice. One thing I would consider doing is during the second half of the chorus, spread those vocals out to give it a "spacey" sound and give it a little variety. Just my opinion though. Great job!

Bruthish --- Thank you. I have made some adjustments. I had the chime muted in recent mixes so at some point I must have thought the same as you. I left in in as a background sound for the second half of the second verse.

I added a lower bass part for the chorus (and actually took one out too) but I think that helps the low end drop off. This effected the chorus making it seem slightly faster to me.

I didn't spread the lead vocal for the second half of the chorus but did spread the BV's and think it's pretty cool though subtle. From the word "slide" to the end of the chorus.

Thanks for the help. Glad you like it!

Seems pretty good.

What's the noise at the start of the track? Some sort of glitch in the rendering process.
I'm not hearing the bass drop out on the chorus, but I am hearing it a little bit on the solo.
The high-end synths also seem to be stepping on the vox a little during the chorus, which makes the vox sound a little mid-rangey.

Overall a pretty cool mix though. What are you using for synths, etc?

The glitch had been frustrating as it shows up sometimes and others not. I do know what it is though...I am using a Vahalla plug in and it is making that click as the track engages. I might see if there is an update for that plugin that I am not aware of. I have tried many different things to get rid of it. If nothing else works I will just edit out the pop after I get the final mix done.

I fixed the chorus drop out and decided to let the bridge have a little drop and just keep the bass drum there booming... I could adjust that for more low end if it is needed. I'll check it out.

I am using Rob Papen Synths. Mostly Blue 2 in this one. Absolutely LOVE his stuff!

Thanks for the listen. I will check the vocals in the chorus and cut the synths high end where needed. REALLY appreciate it!

I like the latest version! Sounds really good.

I guess I should explain what i was hearing as far as bass....the intro parts have some really deep sub-frequencies that really hit my sub. Then when the chorus kicks in they are not as prominent. So, to me I hear the bass "dropping out"....but maybe its just too much on the intro, because the chorus does sound pretty damn good. If it was your intention to do that then by all means keep it that way. Just wanted you to be aware of it in case you couldn't hear it...

I think I understood what you were hearing as I felt there was something missing from the chorus too. I think the balance is better now. Still drops a little and I can adjust that but what I did for this mix is eq'ed out some of the low end during the intro verse. It was pretty raspy on some systems. Then I put a similar bass part for the chorus eq'ed about the same but turned the volume down so the kick etc. would come through.

That low end sound is a little tough to work with. I've had it where it seems to make the vocals quiver!

I might adjust the intro a little more. I really need the chorus to pound!

Thanks!

I really like this. Great arrangement. I'm not always a fan of music that is heavy into synths, but I do really like stuff that gets into "darker" sounds and melody (like certain periods of Depeche Mode for example). This is up my alley for sure. A great tune is a great tune.

The mix sounds very good to me. Very nice use of space and ambiance. I like how everything is coming across in my space. No crits, I just like it. Nice job.

KindaFishy --- Hey we know each other...form a past life on another site.

Thanks for the listen and I appreciate your comments!

I have a final mastered version if you have time.

I think I have figured out most of the issues and fixed them. Then gave a shot at mastering. I've done it a little before but never this detailed and never this loud. I will try to make this my last remix of this song as I certainly do not want to abuse any ones time!!!

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it a lot!!!

Hopefully the bass is not stepping on everything else?

MP3 Player SoundClick

Hopefully the bass is not stepping on everything else?

When the chorus kicks in, the vocals get very harsh - lot of highs (and not much in the mids), too much for my taste, but this is not a type of music I'm familiar with.

Overall coverage sounds good; if it were my choice I would bring forward drums (Toms, Snare) a bit, give it more of a primal beat sound at spots, but what do I know...

KindaFishy --- Hey we know each other...form a past life on another site.

Thanks for the listen and I appreciate your comments!

I have a final mastered version if you have time.

Ah, Ricky, nice to see you here. I'm sure you've noticed that mjbphotos is also from the other site. I like these forums very much. These are much more mix and technically focused and not so much on songwriting critique.

Always have time to listen to music. What else is there? :)

Still sounds very good to me. I was originally just focusing on the song itself and the vibe, which is very good, but I can't really disagree with the observations mjbphotos and mjhamil are offering. It's Subjective stuff to be sure though.

Thanks Mike! I can hear that and need to remix the vocals a bit. It's getting there.....

MJHamil --- There have been times I can hear what you are talking about and then I try to implement it and can seem to make it work. (the toms especially) I appreciate your thoughts for sure!

Fishy --- It's not quite there yet...but thanks for taking the time. Always appreciate your input for sure!

Hi Listen to your track and overall I like the tune. The number one thing that is excellent and always important is the quality of the lead vocal, really well recorded. What was the chain and mic used? Not a big synth guy but I really have no criticism. I do think that the word "soul" at the 2 something seems out of tune possibly the clash of notes from lead, harmony and other instruments. Otherwise, nice job mate!

TKeefe | Free Listening on SoundCloud

TKeefe,

I am using an SM7B through a Focusrite ISA 1. Just bought that combo and am really liking it so far. This is the first song I've used it on.

I have wondered about the same part you are mentioning. No one else heard it until now. I will check to see if it's the right note to sing. It would be the harmony that's off if anything.

Thanks!

Back