First post of a mix: Hard Rock

Fireal402

Eyeballs! OH MY GOD EYES
Hi all!

I've spent some time lurking, but never posted because I didn't have any finished mixes. I finally got one one of my band, and would be interested to hear what others have to say.
I tried to get as balanced a level as I could, and spent a fair amount of time using a spectrum analyzer, so try to find the mistakes I missed. My ears have been strained a bit by some shows lately, so I'm not sure I'm even hearing this correctly.

Leaving the Oasis

Thanks,
Ben

I think you did a pretty nice job. Vocal is lowish...pretty much throughout. It's a great vocal, bring it up or maybe just make it pop out more. I kinda' like the sound of it, so I'm thinking it's a volume thing...

..on this end, anyway...get some other opinions.

Good job

Good tune - the alternating between mellow vocals/playing and screamo vocals/overdrive is very effective. I would bring the vocals up everywhere and the rhythm guitar down a bit in the louder parts (just my .02). The echo/verb on the voices is just right. Cool !

Cool Tune

Really nice tune Ben.

I agree with Chris. Pull up the vocal, it's somewhat buried.

The kick drum sounds out of phase. Try flipping the phase and see how it sounds. If that doesn't work, you need to do some EQ work to give it more "thump". Right now it sounds a little hollow. Get that sucker sounding like it wants to punch the listener in the gut.

Guitars sound big. Bass line is cool. Overall arrangement and effects are fitting.

Godd Job.

Bart

I'm thinking that maybe the snare needs to come up a bit in the heavy parts as well? maybe just a hair?

The quiet parts sound great. The vox in particular sounds pretty good IMHO, definitely bring that up more.

If I had to get REALLY picky, I would say that I'm not totally in love with the heavy distorted guitar sound. Its like "close", but something's not quite right about it. A little bit "amatuer/home recorded" sounding maybe? could be the mp3 encoding too...

Thank you for the comments guys!
I listened to it after reading your suggestions and came to pretty much the same conclusions: the vocals are too quiet (but only on the choruses to me) and the guitar does sound a little off. It took me a while to get that tone, but it still needs a little something.

I didn't notice any problems with the kick though, other than a slightly low volume during the choruses.

I'm correcting this as we speak, but I think it's almost done. It's so refreshing to have an outside opinion besides the band and people close.

Thanks again,
Ben

That's cool

Fireal402 said:
I didn't notice any problems with the kick though, other than a slightly low volume during the choruses.

If that is the kick sound you want for the tune, power to you.

I'm an old fart and like a little thump along with the beater attack....personal preference I guess.

I'm interested in what others think about the kick drum sound because to me, the kick sounds more like a floor tom than a kick.

Still.....good tune and good mixing effort.

Bart

I think I figured out why the kick might seem weak to you. I mixed this using a subwoofer, and the kick has a fair amount of activity in the 35-65 hz range, so if you're not using one you might not be able to hear the "thump".

But, that doesn't mean it's really there. Since I haven't had the sub for that long, I may be undercompensating in relation to other speaker systems. I'll keep that issue in mind and test out some EQ changes.

Thanks again for your input,
Ben

Understood

Gotcha on the kick drum/sub issue.

The bottom of the range you emphasized is more "feel" than "hear".

I could be wrong here, but when I want thump from a rock kick drum I'm thinking more 75-100 hz. That range (for my tunes) is more perceptible and translates better in most listening environments.

Back