first mp3 :]

dix0r

so...i haven't been recording very long, and this was probably my 3rd time tracking. i used some pretty bad mic technique - the kick drum sound was horrible, lots of bleed in the snare mic, vocals are wayyy to sibilant.

i've remixed it a bunch of times but haven't been able to get sounds that i'm happy with out of the tracks. i don't consider this good or anything, but its the happiest i've been with them so far.

i could definitely use some advice from you guys though...

thanks,

-mike

edit: changed URL to updated mp3...

Last edited:
oh yeah, production wise its pretty bad too. it was kind of "if they're happy with it, thats fine by me."

so i'm basically just looking for mixing/EQ advice, but anything is welcome.

Drums are a little too hot in the mix...snare and cymbals anyways
kick could use some warmth...maybe verb a little....then a minor low cut.
The drums are played really fuckin' good though...stellar performance for sure.
Bass needs to come up in the mix....
guits need to come up big time in the mix.
harmony vox are really low in the mix....some are pitchy too...
sounds like the whole band was singing...
lead vox is good...to my ears anyways....some lyrics are really hard to make out....I can hear the chorus/hook though....cool...
no lead guitar?

pretty good job so far man,
Joe

yeah, no lead...(the guitarists aren't very good)...

thanks very much for the help though...i think i'll actually try those suggestions out right now :]

be back later, heh...

this is your first mp3? holy shit. i've done about 100 and none of them are even close this one. the song was pretty good, but is your singer trying to be Davey Havok at points? It seems like he is. Actually this seems very new-AFI, right down to the WHOAS! I can't complain, the mix fit the style, but i'd agree with the above on some of it. who cares about lead guitar anyway, it's punk.

hahahah! good call on the AFI thing - the singer is OBSESSED with them. i always make fun of him for trying to sound like davey...

i heard davey developed vocal nodules (i think thats what they're called) and they had to cancel the rest of their tour or something. i'm not a big fan of them, but thats kinda scary, heh.

i changed the mix a little from when joro made those comments, and i think you downloaded the "improved version" - so, if ya got a minute, i'd be curious as to specifically, which of those suggestions you think still need work (or all of them, heh).

thanks for the help, and thanks for checking it out :]

-mike

cool....

still needs more guit and bass though man.....

are you the drummer?

drums really shine brightly on this....
and there is definitely more definition on the kick now....cool

harmony vox is better man...louder anyways... :D

my ears are toast now....

I listen again tomorrow man...

I take it this is the improved version. I like the song, yeah the drummer is good. What I listen for is a good blend in the mix. I like the bass and kick to sound even and playing together, I like the vocals to be louder than the snare. If you can focus on those two issues, this mix will get better. What you have is very listenable, and your close, keep up the good work.

joro said:
cool....

still needs more guit and bass though man.....

are you the drummer?

drums really shine brightly on this....
and there is definitely more definition on the kick now....cool

harmony vox is better man...louder anyways... :D

my ears are toast now....

I listen again tomorrow man...

naw, i'm not the drummer. i wouldn't mind being able to play like him though...he's definitely the most talented guy in the band...

and thanks again for all the help. i'll definitely try changing that, and hopefully i'll have another updated mix up by tomorrow...

slkeen said:
I take it this is the improved version. I like the song, yeah the drummer is good. What I listen for is a good blend in the mix. I like the bass and kick to sound even and playing together, I like the vocals to be louder than the snare. If you can focus on those two issues, this mix will get better. What you have is very listenable, and your close, keep up the good work.

thanks! i'll definitely try to improve those things...

and i'm using yorkville YSM1p's (i think thats the model number for the active ones).

one more update...

i couldn't edit the original post, and i couldn't make a direct comparison between the two (only 10 megs on DSP). if anybody gets a chance though, i wouldn't mind hearing what you have to say about it...ie, too much guitar? or any comments like that.

thanks again,

mike

(PS - last bump, i promise, heh)

Thats hella tight man. I like that, pretty decent job on the drumming for sure, I like the vocals, they fit for sure, maybe try a different effect on the vocals, little less verb. Id try bringing the bass up a little, and maybe trying a new mic positioning on the kick, bust I remember you sayin it wasnt done too well so thats understandable. The guitars could come up a bit in the mix but man this still sounds pretty decent. Keep up the good work.

Back