First MP3.

That snare is sounding pretty shoddy, and doesn't seem to sound right especially for reggae. It sounds like the drum just has a loose, dead tuning. I realize you can't really do much if the drummer is providing his own kit and thats just how it sounds, but you might talk to him/her about getting a new head if s/he hasn't already and trying a different, preferably tighter tuning. It also seems that because the drum is so unresponsive, the drummer isn't even able to get proper rebound from the snare and the rolls sound pretty muddy and sloppy.

Yes, the snare didn't sound anywhere near good. Actually, the sound on the mp3 is the snare sound from the overheads only, cause when closemiked it would bring out the snares hollow ringing sound even more.

Not my kit. I'm about to invest in a good-sounding kit for my studio this year.

Yeah I can see why everybody is bashing the snare sound... I agree with the ther guys that it is too loose, from my point of view you also got a little too much reverb on it... so try to cut a little reverb and tighten the snare.

Everything else sounds pretty good man. Congrats on your work! If this is your first mp3, I can see you as a good recording eng. soon ..Keep it up.

Good Luck. Jose

yea the snare needs more top end to it. try a bit of reverb on the guitar, lots of dub and reggae puts heavy reverb on the guitar otherwise sounded good. does this band have a website, in liked the song a lot.

Thanks for the replies. No, the band does not have a website... I let them know you liked'em though.

They've only been playing for a year or so, so I'm sure they'll appreciate that.

The snare ain't bad, but raggae does need more of a piccalo sound. The horns sound great. You did a VERY good job of tracking/mixing.

Thanks for the great response.

The snare was an issue even before we started recording. A piccolo snare would obvisouly be the better choice, but the band couldn't afford it. :(

Track Rat: The horns are recorded through a Shure SM7, and I'm very satisfied with it's performance.

Back