First mix...please be kind!...

GazLion

...but obviously honest! :)

This is the first proper recording and mix I have ever done. I did this this evening after having my head stuck in the cubase 5 manual for what seemed like about 2 hours!

I really wanted to record the acoustic guitars with a mic and a line out at the same time, then mix the individual parts, but I couldn't work out how to do it so I just ended up only mic'ing and panning two recordings left and right. I probably haven't explained that very well so sorry!

I tried not to put too much reverb on the guitars / vox, but maybe it's still a bit too much? And I honestly have no idea about how to properly compress and EQ, so I just did what I thought sounded slightly better than the raw recording. I guess I'll learn with time.

The main thing is I had loads of fun recording this :D

Gear used - Takamine acoustic, B2-Pro, Presonus audiobox, MK2 monitors.

**Update**Hide Your Love Away - Mix 2http://soundcloud.com/gazlyon/hide-your-love-away-mix-2

Cheers, Gaz

Last edited:
Hell yeah, having fun. Alot of us forget about that part. I'm listening on headphones right now which isn't idea for a good critique but actually it sounds quite good for a first attempt.

...but obviously honest! :)

OK, you asked for it.....you ready for this honesty?

This sounds really really good, man. For a first recording and mix, it's exceptional, in my opinion.

Just goes to show that it's hard to ruin a good performance, and this is a great performance. Probably not very helpful, but I'm being honest.

yup, youve got a good recording of the guitars, good solid performance, and your singing sounds honest

feck me its refreshing to hear a first recording this clean, clear and effect free

great job, welcome aboard...now lets hear your own compositions :D

The "hey" has too much reverb on it for me. It stands out too much as being different.
This is pretty hard panned so it really sounds wide on headphones. I'd love to hear this about 65/65 to blend the guitars together a bit more. Personal preference really....
But the guys are right - this is an excellent performance and recording for a first try. You're ready to start refining your mixes - you have the basics nailed.

Welcome to HR, sounds good, I love Cubase 5, lots to learn and lots of fun.

Wow cheers guys its really is nice to hear the comments and thanks for taking the time to listen.

I wanted to record this tune as I've been playing it live for a few years now and I've always been fond of it. I do have some original material penned down that I want to get recorded so that is next on the list.

The "hey" has too much reverb on it for me. It stands out too much as being different.
This is pretty hard panned so it really sounds wide on headphones. I'd love to hear this about 65/65 to blend the guitars together a bit more. Personal preference really....
But the guys are right - this is an excellent performance and recording for a first try. You're ready to start refining your mixes - you have the basics nailed.

Thanks for the comment. With the 'hey' I did add a 'church reverb' and also added some kind of doubling effect, so I will have a play around with that to try and dry it up a bit as I am not happy with it after another listen this morning.

And also yes I completely agree on the guitars, I think they are panned too stereo so I will also try your 65/65 suggestion.

Cheers guys!

Gaz

Guitars sound good. You've managed to pull a nice sound out of them. Playing is nice and tight.

Singing is not bad, but I detect some inhibition there . . . maybe like there is someone in the next room who you don't want to hear what you're doing.

This is noticeable in the 'hey' bit. Someone said too much reverb. I agree . . . it's too gimmicky. That 'hey' has to be convincingly strong, not tentative.

Good work!

Singing is not bad, but I detect some inhibition there . . . maybe like there is someone in the next room who you don't want to hear what you're doing.

Yes I think you've hit the nail on the head there. When I perform live I feel so much more comfortable with my vocal performances. Everything flows so much better and I never feel like I am straining to hit notes etc. But in a recording situation when there is no PA system there for me to work with, the vocals seem a lot harder to perform.

I can only assume that this is the sort of thing that gets easier with practice....I think next time I'll think balls to the neighbours and really go for it!

Thanks for listening.

I can only assume that this is the sort of thing that gets easier with practice....I think next time I'll think balls to the neighbours and really go for it!

It does get easier with practice . . . it's like jumping the same notch you do when playing live.

Nice version, one of my all-time fave Beatles song.
only thing was the "Hey", it really had too much reverb on it. Bring it closer to the front.....

Terrific 1st effort - the Hey reverb is a bit odd indeed - takes it into another room - it might work if the rest of the phrase was with it (Hey, you've got to...etc).
Otherwise NOICE WUN GUVNAH!
Is it possible to post a mix with the Hey less bailed?

Terrific 1st effort - the Hey reverb is a bit odd indeed - takes it into another room - it might work if the rest of the phrase was with it (Hey, you've got to...etc).
Otherwise NOICE WUN GUVNAH!
Is it possible to post a mix with the Hey less bailed?

Thanks a lot guys, and yes I'll mix again tonight and upload :cool:

Agree that the guitars sound real good.

Singing is good. But is sounds like you struggle with the loud "Hey's". I think the whole vocal has a reverb that's "too big." The guitars sound like they're right next to you in the room while the singer sounds like he's in a high school gym, if you get my meaning. I'd change that to a small room.

Liked the couple of extra strums on the right side at the very end.

I've changed the mix slightly now as you helpful chaps have advised.

The vocals in general are now a bit dryer, and the "Hey"s in particular now sound better IMO after getting rid of the reverb and bringing them higher up in the mix.

I have panned guitars 65/65 rather than fully L/R which I think suits this track better, so thanks for that suggestion ido1957.

Oh and I tided the end up a little as there were some unwanted noises (possibly still are!). This time exported in 320.

Hide Your Love Away - Mix 2

Last edited:
Guitars sound great.

In the vocals, add a high pass filter at around 150/190Hz if you know how to and it'll take out a lot of the plosive sounds but keep your voice there, I add it to all my mixes, and if you find it's taking from your voice then just lower it until the whole range is there, if you know what I mean?

Still a cracking recording and mix for a first timer!!

I agree, the "Heys" are now really pronounced. I didn't notice them on the last mix as much and now they're overbearing. I'd either loose them or try and do them in a different way. It's been a long time since I listened to the original song, maybe I should go back and take a listen and do a comparison since you don't want to get ride of the "hey" part.

Back