Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First mix...please be kind!...

Thanks

First mix...please be kind!...

Sign in to disable this ad
    ...but obviously honest!

This is the first proper recording and mix I have ever done. I did this this evening after having my head stuck in the cubase 5 manual for what seemed like about 2 hours!

I really wanted to record the acoustic guitars with a mic and a line out at the same time, then mix the individual parts, but I couldn't work out how to do it so I just ended up only mic'ing and panning two recordings left and right. I probably haven't explained that very well so sorry!

I tried not to put too much reverb on the guitars / vox, but maybe it's still a bit too much? And I honestly have no idea about how to properly compress and EQ, so I just did what I thought sounded slightly better than the raw recording. I guess I'll learn with time.

The main thing is I had loads of fun recording this

Gear used - Takamine acoustic, B2-Pro, Presonus audiobox, MK2 monitors.

**Update**Hide Your Love Away - Mix 2

Cheers, Gaz
    Last edited by GazLion; 02-25-2011 at 01:17.

Thanks
    Hell yeah, having fun. Alot of us forget about that part. I'm listening on headphones right now which isn't idea for a good critique but actually it sounds quite good for a first attempt.

RAMI Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GazLion View Post
    ...but obviously honest!
    OK, you asked for it.....you ready for this honesty?

This sounds really really good, man. For a first recording and mix, it's exceptional, in my opinion.

Just goes to show that it's hard to ruin a good performance, and this is a great performance. Probably not very helpful, but I'm being honest.

Thanks
    yup, youve got a good recording of the guitars, good solid performance, and your singing sounds honest

feck me its refreshing to hear a first recording this clean, clear and effect free

great job, welcome aboard...now lets hear your own compositions
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thanks
    The "hey" has too much reverb on it for me. It stands out too much as being different.
    This is pretty hard panned so it really sounds wide on headphones. I'd love to hear this about 65/65 to blend the guitars together a bit more. Personal preference really....
    But the guys are right - this is an excellent performance and recording for a first try. You're ready to start refining your mixes - you have the basics nailed.

Thanks
    Welcome to HR, sounds good, I love Cubase 5, lots to learn and lots of fun.

Thanks
    Wow cheers guys its really is nice to hear the comments and thanks for taking the time to listen.

I wanted to record this tune as I've been playing it live for a few years now and I've always been fond of it. I do have some original material penned down that I want to get recorded so that is next on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by ido1957 View Post
    The "hey" has too much reverb on it for me. It stands out too much as being different.
    This is pretty hard panned so it really sounds wide on headphones. I'd love to hear this about 65/65 to blend the guitars together a bit more. Personal preference really....
    But the guys are right - this is an excellent performance and recording for a first try. You're ready to start refining your mixes - you have the basics nailed.
    Thanks for the comment. With the 'hey' I did add a 'church reverb' and also added some kind of doubling effect, so I will have a play around with that to try and dry it up a bit as I am not happy with it after another listen this morning.

And also yes I completely agree on the guitars, I think they are panned too stereo so I will also try your 65/65 suggestion.

Cheers guys!

Gaz

Thanks
    Guitars sound good. You've managed to pull a nice sound out of them. Playing is nice and tight.

Singing is not bad, but I detect some inhibition there . . . maybe like there is someone in the next room who you don't want to hear what you're doing.

This is noticeable in the 'hey' bit. Someone said too much reverb. I agree . . . it's too gimmicky. That 'hey' has to be convincingly strong, not tentative.

Good work!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    Singing is not bad, but I detect some inhibition there . . . maybe like there is someone in the next room who you don't want to hear what you're doing.
    Yes I think you've hit the nail on the head there. When I perform live I feel so much more comfortable with my vocal performances. Everything flows so much better and I never feel like I am straining to hit notes etc. But in a recording situation when there is no PA system there for me to work with, the vocals seem a lot harder to perform.

I can only assume that this is the sort of thing that gets easier with practice....I think next time I'll think balls to the neighbours and really go for it!

Thanks for listening.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GazLion View Post
    I can only assume that this is the sort of thing that gets easier with practice....I think next time I'll think balls to the neighbours and really go for it!
    It does get easier with practice . . . it's like jumping the same notch you do when playing live.

Thread Information