first mix on a new song - rock/industrial vibe

gbav

Hey, first mixt on a new song and on new equipment so I'm thinking theres probably alot that I'm missing here. Wrote/recorded/mixed this one today so some work as far as arranging will probably get mixed up a bit so any suggestions there are fine as well. Any help is always awesome and you guys always steer me in the right direction.

Songs called Fever Dream
up at
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=412087&songID=4992122

Thanks alot in advance.
take care
Gary

Sounds really good man...drums come across well, and good guitar sounds. Voice seems to sit well to me. I like the synth sounds...they have their own space. All in all, it's put together well. I like it. Cool tune man....

Very nice, interesting stuff. Love the piano intro. :cool:

The synth stuff is cool, I wish there was more of it. :D The radio-am effect is cool but doesnt QUITE work when the band comes back in. Make sense? :confused:

Very good production, sounds like it took a while. I am not crazy about the fadeout, seems a tad abrupt. What kind of equipment are you using? Sounds quite good. :cool:

Thanks alot for the nice words Ed. These new monitors are throwing me off was just hoping no one lost a woofer or something cuase of me.

DavidK Thanks a ton for the listen and words. I agree with the fade out for sure, i'm certainly going to extend it a measure or two. Equipment wise it's all digital. Soundcard is an echo layla3g. Preamp i used mostly was the grace design 101. Mic was an sm7. All the keyboard lines were played with a keyboard (kurzweil kme61) hooked up to reason 3.0 Not that you need advice i've heard your stuff and the quality on your stuff is damn impressive. Looked for your cd at the local barones and noble here thinking i might get lucky, will purchase soon online.

Have a good one

gary

Thanks for the compliments Gary. :cool: I am a big Kurzweill fan, that looks like a nice keyboard and pretty affordable. It has a nice piano sound, it sounds very convincing. Good luck with the song, youve done a great job. :)

Passionate vocal, well recorded. Nice tightly done guitars. I like the piano intro. Some piano arpeggios would sound good here and there in the tune.

That piano is nice at the beginning, had me wondering where the metal was - didn't take too long for that question to be answered - nice touch.....

I like the tone change that occurs right when the vocals come in... a bass boost.

Around 2:00 - cool "distant" guitar
Around 2:15 - 2:25 - very excellent vocal effect
Be cool if you could share some details on your production there

The drums and bass are good, guitars suitably raunchy. Everything played nice and tight....

The solo at 2:30 fits this tune well.....it was very effective in the overall feel of this tune....

Good One!

:) :D :) :D

funny to see the mentions on the intro piano part as i wrote this originally as like a 5 minute piano instrumental. Might have to give that a try see if it flys.

Thanks so much Tim. I agree with the piano parts being added, will certainly be tryed when i finish this one up.

Gerry thanks alot for the nice words. I'm not too sure on my production. I do everything inside the box. From the guitars (amplitube 2) to alot of the synth stuff and all the drums (reason 3). It just seemed like a cost effective option and that certianly is a factor for me in how i go about all that. I upgraded my monitors (really sad pair of old monitors/stereo speakers to a pair of wahrfdale 8.2's) and my preamp (grace 101) to try and kind of boost my ability a bit from my "in the box" set up. I live in an apartment with no way to blast guitar amps and drums and all that. Production wise i hate to even comment sometimes cause i feel like i'm not nearly confident enough in what im doing to really say whats right/wrong. Guitar wise I always double the main riff , panned left and right and add a 3rd panned dead center to thicken things up.Then run all 3 guitars through the same reverb via an effect send and pan them a bit more extreme then the dry tracks. Bass is amplitube again and then eq'ed to high hell to try and make it fit with whatever bass drum sound im using so they don't kill each other and then also run through that reverb effect send. I suck at mixing vocals, you'd be way better talking about that then me as i find yours a ways sound real smooth without a touch of harshness. Other then that i always think of my own songs in terms of layers, i like using am/telephone effects, delays, distortions to kind of set tracks apart from others. In my head it works not always when it actually comes down to doing it. Maybe not the response you were looking for, i'll keep it less long winded next time :)

thanks alot guys, the advice really does help immensley

take care
gary

Just wanted to thank you guys again for the advice/listens...apparently it was enough to put the song number one on the "industrial metal" charts on soundclick. While i know this means absolutely nothing it was still cool to see first thing in the morning. Thanks again.

Take care

gary

Back