first mix on a new song - another

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbav

Hey. Just looking for mix/song direction. Early mix of a song i tracked/wrote over the last day or two. Still needs some work. All comments are appreciated.

I predict some people will have a problem with noisey synth sound at 1:42. I'm kind of a sucker for it but i just wanted to let people know to expect it as it could certainly be considered annoying heheh

Songs called Another

192 mp3 at

or up at soundclick for streaming
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=784709&songID=6222913

thanks so much in advance, going to go see what i've missed since i've been here

take care

gary

Hi gary.
It's a pretty good grungey rock song, but also slightly typical of the genre, in my humble opinion. Well played and sung though and well produced really, apart from the fact that it sounds a little bit too tame for the sort of music it is. Needs to sound grittier if you know what I mean. I actually really like the synth part, although it probably jumps out just a little bit too much. The good thing is that the synth is sort of unexpected, even though you warned me. But the song takes off a bit more at that point and then drops down again after the synth stops, which only makes the rest seem even more tame, as already mentioned.
All in all, it's good but it needs more bite.
dreamer7 :)

Sounds pretty good. Agreed that it might do a little more aggressive in places. After Hey at :37 another guitar could fill in for the measure or two.

The synth sounded like noise bleed originally but once it stays you get the point that it's intentional. :)

Your stuff is always very nicely organized and arranged. It also helps that you can sing really well. The drums sound really nice.

I agree, I like this but the guitars are to laid back. Needs something with more edge to it. Cool song besides that.

I agree with the above mentioned, the synth actually sounds pretty cool.

and the guitars definatly needs more edge. how did you record it?

my sugestion, mic the cab with an sm57.. or you might even beable to DI it.
than just add a touch of compression.. or nothing at all.
just a thought

drums sound great, vox sounds great.
actually you ight even beable to add a touch more compresion to the vox...
(I'm lestening on cheep headphones at the moment so I could be wrong..)

other than that great job :D

More bass.......I like !!!!!! I dig the hard panned girls voice. She has great tone! Get her in on the chorus.

Great Tune.

Very cool arrangement - I like the way you have several parts in each section. I like the low vocal then high vocal method of singing here. It kicks the song up a notch when the high part comes in. Is that a girl singing at the beginning or is that falsetto or a synth? It's a catchy tune - I know that because it's playing over in my head now as I type this....

:cool::D:cool::D

thanks for the comments guys all advice was very helpful. Agree on the guitars and will retrack those shortly. Also still working on the drums need to do a bit more programming on those. Notice the lack of cymbals/fills heheh.

dreamer7 - thanks for the listen. I agree on the guitars i kinda knew i had to redo them but time ran out on my "can use an amp" time at the apartment here so i had to settle for the day. Was hoping to just be able to get by with them but i'll take some time/tomorrow to really focus in on that. Thanks again for the listen, really enjoyed your song you posted before.

bigbubba - thanks very much. I still refuse to see myself as a "singer' i'm just waiting to find someone to do it for me i get along with musically. Thanks again for the listen.

bigtom - thanks so much for the listen.

Nick_Black - Totally agree. Thanks so much for the advice. Yeah im a big fan of a simple sm57 on guitar cabs when gong for an edgier/heavier tone. When i re-record them ti will probably the first mic i try for sure. Thanks again so much for the listen.

Gargamel - Thanks so much for the listen. I was thinking the really low frequencies were a bit lacking myself but haven't checked it on any other systems yet.

idol/gerry - Thanks so much for the nice comments. It's me singing that part actually. Don't use that register in my voice usually and when i do i cover it in enough reverb to hide it heheh.

thanks again everyone, very helpful as always

take care

gary

Hey Gary, cool tune man. Dig it. Before even reading the comments above, I agreed that the mix could use a little more punch/fight to it. Sounds like you have a good tune that's recorded well, but just could be mixed a bit better. Sounds like your playing is tight so after a remix should be great. Cheers man, good to hear another of your tunes on here.. that chorus is pretty catchy:cool: :D

i agree it sounds good....just needs to be mixed a little different more bass guitars come up front then out often and the lead gets kind lost int he mix....its pushed way too far back...nj though

Cool tune man....I like this stuff. :D

I agree it could use more bottom end...I don't really feel the kick and hear the bass. That would fill it up some I figure...but cool tune none the less. :cool:

I have no problem hearing the kick even on headphones. i can't really hear the bass very well though. Overall, I think the low-end is pleasantly clean, so any changes i think should be subtle. I do agree that the guitars definitely need more highs.

However, don't retrack the guitars! Try this! Try doubling the guitar part with some really harsh distortion box through a DI. Do this twice in mono, pan one track left, and the other right. Then, start with the faders down, and mix up to taste!

Could be awesome,
Alex

Can't add anything more to what's already been said.

Good song, good mix. I like all the different things going on.
I enjoyed listening, thanks for sharing

Cheers,

Nice recording...I missed this one a week ago.

I have no additonal advice to speak of but wanted to let you know it sounds pretty good here. I really like the noisy snyth!

Maybe the guitars could be a bit raunchier, but pretty nice as is.

been sick/in bed alot this past week so i'm really sorry for the late response to this.

Tryed to do a louder/punchier (at least in my head) mix on this up

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=784709&songID=6254923

if anyones interested.

Snake - Thanks so much for listening. I agree with wahts been said so far, still feel i should work on this one more.

jrhoden - Thanks alot for the response. Am defintely loking into all the advice given in this thread, means alot.

Dogman - Thanks for the response. I often have a hard time figuring my bottom end out. I try and check it on alot of sources and sometimes it feels way too big on things like a tv and way too small on things like my monitors. Try to find a happy medium but have a difficult time with some stuff.

Chili - Thanks very much. Glad you enjoyed the listen.

heatmiser - Thanks a whole lot. Really appreciate it. Agree on the guitars.

Supercreep - Thanks for the listen. Yeah it's me singing . Not what i normally do. This song is probably more a "change of pace" song for me.

Thanks so much guys.

Take care

Gary

Something to make the guitars a little more industrial.
Just a tad more top on the bass.
Pretty flash young harry - sorry gary!
The panned noise thing could be a little nastier too!
the arrangeents are very good - as are the dynamics.
Cool bananas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back