First mix from 1 room hideaway

Dwayne C

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-cooper-83/gravel-pit

Please help me pick it apart so I can improve. It's a VERY basic set up.

Sountracs Topaz 24/8 to Tascam DA-88s mixed on Event Tr8s

Kick Beta 52
Snare SM 57
2 O/H AKG C1000s

Bass: Direct Box

Clean Guitar: Roland JC 120 with e609

Dist Guitar: Tech21 Sansamp rack Preamp

Vocals: Groove Tubes GT44 tube mic

1 dbx 166xl on kick and bass

1 TC Electronics M300 with Delay on Aux 3 and Reverb on Aux 4

That's it. Adding my repaired SPX-90 to the rack tomorrow........

Do you have the OHs panned 100%? They sound very wide to me, I like bringing them in a bit in width (but that's just me). The high hat and cymbal taps are hard to hear except when you're banging them hard. The lead guitar is loud overall. Otherwise, you've captured the sound well.

The O/Hs are almost 100% panned, but not quite. More like 95% panned. I'll tighten it up a bit and see if the cymbals become a bit more present. Or, would a small amount of compression on the drum mix be helpful for this?

QUESTION: Do you track your drums with panning in place, or leave it up the middle while recording? These were panned during tracking.......

The high lead guitar was a preference of the band on this song. The others are seated a bit better in the mix for my taste.

Thank you for giving a listen.

Cool song! Karma may be a bitch but recording live drums are too. The drums sound boxy. Like they are removed from the band and not blending. That said other than the cymbals they're too far back in the mix for my tastes. Great guitar and vocal sound.

Consensus tells me I need to add tom mics. The question there is, do I go with my little Senns that clip on the toms and risk a bit of noise or go with 57/58 on the higher toms and my AKG D550 on the lower floor tom? The clips sure are a lot less clutter, but I've heard of noise problems using them.

Sounds to me that the distorted guitars are muffled too much. Everything else has a natural brightness to them, but the guitars sound like too much mid and not much highs. Great unique voice by the way.

I really like it. Not my usual taste in music at all but I can appreciate anything if it catches my ear.

I agree with the above about the guitars being a little muffled but it suits the song pretty well for me. I'd definitely bring the toms up some.

Good stuff though, I enjoyed the track. :thumbs up:

I thought the song was good. Nice singing voice - very distinctive.

My first thought was that the power crunch guitar is quite muffled and muddy. Needs less low midrange and a little more upper midrange.

The bass has a lot of rumble in the low end.

Snare sounded pretty good. The cymbals sounded decent. I agree that the OH's are panned a bit wide.

The vocal sounded good. Pay attention to mic technique - words here and there get lost. And I don't think it's something that compression or fader riding is going to address well.

the melody and lyrics tell me two different stories. The melody, or song core which I like gives the impression you're going to hear a message about the darker things in life. but then the lyrics have a positive message which i don't like. i guess that's why I liked grunge so much, which this reminds me of, is cause it was never positive really. but not really negative either. just bleak. of any thing I think that would help, I would say crank up a tube amp and lay another clean guitar track over it all! There just isn't enough un-muted wide-open guitar to support the vocals

Back