First Finished Original Track!

studiosonic

Well, I've spent the last couple of years making tracks lasting about 30 secs. They started as the basis of a new song, but then I never finished them - just moved on to the next one ! Finally, as part of my new years resolutions, I've actually stuck to a track, done the vocals, and finished it! Woohoo!!

So, it's called "Your Eyes" - don't really know what style you'd call it. Melodic, laid-back soft rock? Hmmm....doesn't sound such a good genre to be in! Anyway, I don't seem to have a set style anyway. Tracks just turn out how they do - sometimes more ambient, sometimes more rocky. Here it is:

I'd love to hear what people think - of the track, the mix etc.. Constructive criticism is what I'm after, but be kind! I've done very basic mastering to it. Drums needs a bit of "humanizing" and I'm not too keen on the guitar outro bits but apart from that, it's mostly done! The beginning guitar riff could do with being re-recorded as it's not very tight.

Equipment used:

AMD Athlon XP 1600
256 MB RAM
Audiophile 2496
Audiobuddy Pre
AT 4033 mic
POD
Yamaha RGZ Custom Guitar
Tangelwood Rebel 4K Bass
Sonar (+ included fx plugs)
Sonic Synth (drums, pad and chorus guitar)

Thanks!

Listening now...sounds terrific! I'm listening through small, crappy computer speakers at work, so I'm not sure I can offer any mix suggestions. My only one would be that the lead vocal could come up just a bit.

I like the song itself...reminds me a bit of Squeeze, Paul Young....

Only suggestion would be to add some sort of a variation in the middle, rather than repeating the same chords (although you vary it nicely with the arrangement).

Congratulations on your first tune....a fine effort!

BobOC
NYC

Sounds excellent to me.The drums do need a little "human" touch like you mentioned but it still works fine just like it is.Very nice work on the vocals.Cool distorted guitar at 2:36......yeah this is a good one man.The recording is solid.

Great sounding recording. Good clarity and separation for everything.

I really like the vocal sound, particularly the octave doubling (my favourite vocal effect).

Bring the lead vocal up a wee bit.

Nice laid-back song, maybe needs a bit more light and shade in the arrangement. But a good, catchy melody too.

The sound quality is very good, especially for a first attempt.

Very good work.

Cheers

AB

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

It's really inspired me and given me confidence in what I'm doing - I've already started working on a new tune!

I might re-visit this one at some point, to try to create a bit more variation in it.

Thanks again!

Very nice sounding pop song man. Sounds really good. Voice does need to come up a tad.

Excellent for a first attempt.

Welcome

Sounds good

Does remind me of a Paul Young type song styling. I like the synth sounds - do you like the Sonic Synth? I was looking into adding that to my arsenal. I like your vocals as well - could maybe raise the level a small amount, but have a nice smooth feel to them.

Nice song and a nice recording. Good instrument selection. The distorted guitar at 2:36 was a nice addition, and the whole tone of it was perfect. Good vocals. I liked the keyboard part(s).

I'd recommend compressing and bringing up the bass. The mix seemed to lack a low end just a bit.

The vocals were a bit soft, I'd move them up just a bit.

Good job.

Back