First Drum track HELP ME OUT!

Erockrazor

I mix in (2x) real-time
Okay , so im trying to record my friends bands demo for them. Im just extremely new with drum recording. I need some opinion on this drum sound and possibly some tips to improve my sound. This is without any mixing but there was a little eq'ing done on the mixer. My friend also has some drum mics working with me so that helps.

signal chain - we have samson bass mic in the bass drum hole, 4 shure sm57 (2overhead 1 snare 1highhat) ,and 2 samson tom mics. Running into a mackie mixer into my dmp3 to audiophile2496 into adobe audition.

as i was writing this i thought to myself ... i could probably do without the dmp3 at all.well the song is at www.soundclick.com/ericgieg named "first drum track''.

please check it out , I want to get the most out of this that i can get for myself and my friends. please give me some feedback it will be GREATLY appreciated. thank you.

good first try, but here are my suggestions. Use condenser mics for the overheads instead of the sm57. Condensers will pick up the higher frequency of the cymbols. Use the sm57 for your toms also. Pull back the bass (kick) drum mike a bit. I like to place it by the drum head but not inside. Kick sounds too boomy (to much bottom end frequencies).

Erockrazor said:
This is without any mixing but there was a little eq'ing done on the mixer.

Yea i was curious how to get a little more kick to the bass drum. Maybe keeping it farther out of the hole will help. like i felt like it was just getting the bass but not really like the kick. I can agree on the condenser overhead , I think it will pick up the cymbals with a little more clarity. Thanks for your suggestions jmxdrummer. Im definitly going to try to test them out.

I forgot to mention for kick drum, I use an EQ plugin to enhance the kick drum

Kick Drum - Boost at 80 hz., cut around 350-400 hz., (removes "cardboard" sound) and beater smack is around 2-4 k.

Nice , I was actually curious about what frequencies would pick up the beater a little more. the word beater always slips my mind , no idea why.

2-4k for the beater is awesome ... but what would you say to boost on a 3 band eq. its kinda between mid and high at least in my head. would you maybe boost both of them? Lower mids to try and compensate? Im just not sure and i cant experiment with it cause its not at my house.Thanks for your help.

Back