Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: First attempt at a 'proper' mix. Sufjan Stevens inspired.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    First attempt at a 'proper' mix. Sufjan Stevens inspired.

    Sign in to disable this ad
    This is my own material so I find it hard to judge production-wise. Everything was recorded into logic with the only mic I own, an SM-57. Into a focusrite Saffire soundcard. No outboard Pres or anything like that. Any constructive criticism on the mixing would be great (although, please don't tell me to get new mics, I'm aware that I am in need). Cheers!

    alexandercomana.bandcamp.com/track/oh-magpie

    (sorry, not allowed to post urls as I have made less than 10 posts, please copy and paste into address bar)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    nice tune! nice production! how did you record the banjo? like this!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,739
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 67 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    17098506
    Hey, I'm not sure you really do need a new mic YATB - the sm-57 is perfectly adequate as far as I'm aware.

    On your tune, the song is well very played, recorded and mixed. The mix itself is fairly simple, so not too much to go wrong but I like the song. If I've one criticism, it's just that the sufjan influence is worn so evidently on your sleeve.

    Good work though

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by slooky View Post
    nice tune! nice production! how did you record the banjo? like this!
    Thank you! I recorded two separate banjo tracks. The first one was recorded with the mic at a 45 degree angle from the 12 fret (probably slightly closer to the rim) and the second track was recorded from the back of the banjo's body (i have an open-back) to get the lower-end.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robgreen View Post
    Hey, I'm not sure you really do need a new mic YATB - the sm-57 is perfectly adequate as far as I'm aware.

    On your tune, the song is well very played, recorded and mixed. The mix itself is fairly simple, so not too much to go wrong but I like the song. If I've one criticism, it's just that the sufjan influence is worn so evidently on your sleeve.

    Good work though
    Thanks for the feedback. I know what you mean about the obvious influence, I've become very aware of it over time and am trying to steer away from being quite so transparent.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    I enjoyed the song, no issues with the mix, loved the banjo and the width of the mix.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by glenroy View Post
    I enjoyed the song, no issues with the mix, loved the banjo and the width of the mix.
    Thank you glenroy

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Age
    48
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    71661
    Very nice! and buddy, if you did all that with an SM57 (which, don't get me wrong, is one of my favorite mics), and it sounds that good!??.... Can't imagine what you'll do with more equipment! Keep up the great work!
    Patrick,
    Central Arkansas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingace View Post
    Very nice! and buddy, if you did all that with an SM57 (which, don't get me wrong, is one of my favorite mics), and it sounds that good!??.... Can't imagine what you'll do with more equipment! Keep up the great work!
    Thanks flyingace! I just had a look at your blog. I must say, I'm very envious of your home studio!

    Great blog!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Age
    48
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    71661
    Thanks, if only my abilities were parallel with my equipment! Actually, I just wish I had more time! I haven't been able to even record a whole song track since getting Logic Pro 9 several weeks ago!
    Patrick,
    Central Arkansas

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Proper Mix Opinions
    By travisisgood in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 19:15
  2. Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy Jr.
    By DRMS_7888 in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2007, 13:54
  3. My first proper mix. Advice please?
    By theboy in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 16:11
  4. 1st proper mix, guidance please!
    By drummersteve in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 14:17
  5. New track check it out(INSPIRED(Dst MIX))
    By soundboy in forum DJ & Hip Hop Production
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 10:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •