First attempt at a 'proper' mix. Sufjan Stevens inspired.

youaretheblood

This is my own material so I find it hard to judge production-wise. Everything was recorded into logic with the only mic I own, an SM-57. Into a focusrite Saffire soundcard. No outboard Pres or anything like that. Any constructive criticism on the mixing would be great (although, please don't tell me to get new mics, I'm aware that I am in need). Cheers!

alexandercomana.bandcamp.com/track/oh-magpie

(sorry, not allowed to post urls as I have made less than 10 posts, please copy and paste into address bar)

Hey, I'm not sure you really do need a new mic YATB - the sm-57 is perfectly adequate as far as I'm aware.

On your tune, the song is well very played, recorded and mixed. The mix itself is fairly simple, so not too much to go wrong but I like the song. If I've one criticism, it's just that the sufjan influence is worn so evidently on your sleeve.

Good work though :)

nice tune! nice production! how did you record the banjo? like this!

Thank you! I recorded two separate banjo tracks. The first one was recorded with the mic at a 45 degree angle from the 12 fret (probably slightly closer to the rim) and the second track was recorded from the back of the banjo's body (i have an open-back) to get the lower-end.

Hey, I'm not sure you really do need a new mic YATB - the sm-57 is perfectly adequate as far as I'm aware.

On your tune, the song is well very played, recorded and mixed. The mix itself is fairly simple, so not too much to go wrong but I like the song. If I've one criticism, it's just that the sufjan influence is worn so evidently on your sleeve.

Good work though :)

Thanks for the feedback. I know what you mean about the obvious influence, I've become very aware of it over time and am trying to steer away from being quite so transparent.

Very nice! and buddy, if you did all that with an SM57 (which, don't get me wrong, is one of my favorite mics), and it sounds that good!??.... Can't imagine what you'll do with more equipment! Keep up the great work!

Very nice! and buddy, if you did all that with an SM57 (which, don't get me wrong, is one of my favorite mics), and it sounds that good!??.... Can't imagine what you'll do with more equipment! Keep up the great work!

Thanks flyingace! I just had a look at your blog. I must say, I'm very envious of your home studio!

Great blog!

Thanks, if only my abilities were parallel with my equipment! :) Actually, I just wish I had more time! I haven't been able to even record a whole song track since getting Logic Pro 9 several weeks ago!

Back