First acoustic / electric guitar recording

ehgore1978

YouTube

First time Ive recorded an acoustic with microphone and electric guitar direct with an axefx live at the same time. Bass through Fractal afterwords. Played live to SD3 drums

Been a while since Ive recorded much

Only listened on my old Sony cans, but I'd have liked a more separation (LR) in the guitars.

I feel like I'm hearing a lot more electric guitar than acoustic. Maybe that's the intent, or maybe there's some masking going on that a wider panned mix, i.e., compared with this centered mix or mono, might shine some light on.

I agree that the electric is dominating the acoustic.

It's tough to comment on the acoustic. But from what I'm hearing it's a little bright and brittle. The electric is a little bright too.

A couple of timing gaks in some spots. Aside from that, there was some good playing.

Yeah the acoustic is a dulboro guitar. I m having a wierd thing in Reaper at the moment where if I pan 100 percent in one direction the volume drops out. Its happened before Ill have to look more into it but yeah cheers for the feedback

A couple of timing gaks in some spots. Aside from that, there was some good playing.

That's the big thing I'm spotting too. The timing could stand to be a little tighter. I'm hearing a lot of string noise too (not sure which instrument; I wanna blame the acoustic, but I can't be sure), which is exacerbating the issue.

I like the drum sound and the bass.

The dobro is dominated because of separation issue....as others have pointed out. It seems like you were trying to keep the lead part (dobro) in the center but had no way to balance the rhythm properly if you moved it to the left or right side to keep it out of the lead's space. Since the dobro seems to be playing most of the time......I do think you will be able to move it to one side and the electric to the other. No need for lots of separation......just enough. You'll then need to see how the tones of each guitar work together and make adjustments if needed. The drums are a little too upfront as well. They don't sit back as much as they should. All the ingredients for a good mix and are there. They just need a bit of EQ...separation......and maybe some reverb / delay or the like. As always.......that's just my opinion and thanks for the listen.

Is the acoustic recorded with a mic or a pickup? I hear pickup but I may be wrong. It has some tonal issues that may be hard to overcome. I have a preference for using a mic on acoustic. So I'm a bit biased. But I would try re-tracking with a mic.

The other guitar doesn't sound like it's on the same soundstage. It sounds like it has comparatively more reverb than the acoustic. And the bass doesn't really come through except in the beginning. In the middle, it just seems to add distortion. I would clean up the bass and play it clean. I think the song calls for a clean bass.

The other thing is that the ending is a little lifeless. It just stops after the drums play solo. It kind of reminds me of early 80's music where they forget to kill the drum machine. :D Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't fit the feel of the song.

Finally, I would add a chorus. The song sort of drags on without much to break it up.

Yeah mate The acoustic was playing the chord stuff. miced with a neuman tlm102. The lead is electric guitar us on a clean patch through axe fx and the mixing desk those 2 guitars and the drum loop were played live together (bleed would definately be coming into the tlm102 acoustic track) Then the other guy did some litltle acoustic stuff in the background which i considered dropping out of the mix as theres probably bleed coming through the mic and bass added afterwards. The acoustic has no electronics. Its more of a background vibe piece as opposed to an actual song but the first time i did a "live" recording (bar the bass overdub and little shitty barely audible acoustic bits) haha
so Acoustic doing chordy stuff, electric doing the main lead riffy thing

hope i explained that right Acoustic miced tlm102 - Chords
Electric axefx - Lead riffy thing
Drum loop played live with above guitars
Bass - axefx overdubbed
Acoustic overdubbed little bits in background would most probably have a lot of bleed not done with headphones
Everything through Allen Heath Zedr16 as interface

Hello, Ehgor1978, I believe it was, After hearing the Youtube recording, I second one person's earlier comment that more separation is desirable.; also, my impression is that the acoustic track is being "overshadowed" to a notable extent by the electric guitar and other instruments. Then, too, another question occurred to me from a purely musical standpoint: Where is the song "going" in terms of the melody or theme your recording seeks to develop? What came across to me as I listened both through headphones, then through a fairly good stereo speaker, was many repetitions of a chord pattern "G-major, D-Major, E-Minor, using the traditional open guitar chords. Somewhere somewhat in the background, I heard an ongoing track of notes which might have been a melody or a counterpart, but which I could not hear very well. I suppose that my fundamental question is "what is the underlying theme or "objective" you want to transmit to your listener?
But don't get me wrong here. I applaud you for posting your first acoustic recording here on MP3 Mixing Clinic. If I correcty understand the purpose of this section of the forums, it is intended as a learning environment in which each of us who want to improve our grasp of the art and/or science of better MP3 mixing can provide works to which others can listen and respons. Admittedly, I come primarily from a background of classical music, especially Baroque and pipe organ; but I have done my share of 50s and 60s country and rock home recordings with great fun doing them. Perhaps you were intending to create something which rather rambles along on a sort of four-bar loop; and if that is your intention, I believe you did it. But if the "background notes" I heard should have more prominence, you might want to adjust your mix a bit to carry out that purpose.
When I find out a bit more about how MP3 Mixing Clinic operates, I plan to put up a few of my recordings from time to time. Being totally blind, however, I don't have any way to add videos to my recordings. They are actually wave files on my hard drive, but they also exist as MP3 files.

Hello, Ehgor1978, I believe it was, After hearing the Youtube recording, I second one person's earlier comment that more separation is desirable.; also, my impression is that the acoustic track is being "overshadowed" to a notable extent by the electric guitar and other instruments. Then, too, another question occurred to me from a purely musical standpoint: Where is the song "going" in terms of the melody or theme your recording seeks to develop? What came across to me as I listened both through headphones, then through a fairly good stereo speaker, was many repetitions of a chord pattern "G-major, D-Major, E-Minor, using the traditional open guitar chords. Somewhere somewhat in the background, I heard an ongoing track of notes which might have been a melody or a counterpart, but which I could not hear very well. I suppose that my fundamental question is "what is the underlying theme or "objective" you want to transmit to your listener?
But don't get me wrong here. I applaud you for posting your first acoustic recording here on MP3 Mixing Clinic. If I correcty understand the purpose of this section of the forums, it is intended as a learning environment in which each of us who want to improve our grasp of the art and/or science of better MP3 mixing can provide works to which others can listen and respons. Admittedly, I come primarily from a background of classical music, especially Baroque and pipe organ; but I have done my share of 50s and 60s country and rock home recordings with great fun doing them. Perhaps you were intending to create something which rather rambles along on a sort of four-bar loop; and if that is your intention, I believe you did it. But if the "background notes" I heard should have more prominence, you might want to adjust your mix a bit to carry out that purpose.
When I find out a bit more about how MP3 Mixing Clinic operates, I plan to put up a few of my recordings from time to time. Being totally blind, however, I don't have any way to add videos to my recordings. They are actually wave files on my hard drive, but they also exist as MP3 files.

Yeah this was an adlibbed jam with the option to continue or leave as a more background type thing that can be used in other ways
. More the intent of it was practising mixing a live jam type scenario using a miced acoustic an electric guitar. I just liking the idea of capturing live and overdubing depending on the situations. Thanks for your reply I appreciate you took the the time. If it had been me solo doing acoustic aswell I definately would work out other parts and the guitars would be a lot tighter

Back