First 2 recordings and mixes on the yamaha N12

Well constructed tunes and well done performance-wise. :)

I think I preferred young star dreams as a song, but sonically, it's a draw. I felt there was a bit too much verb on the vocals on its alright...on both tunes, mix-wise, everything seems a bit dense. the vocals get lost at times especially when things pick up a bit (like in the chorus of young star dreams) and the guitars build. i could stand to hear more separation in the middle somehow. bass sounds good. kind of extreme panning on the drums, but cool nonetheless.

But really...you have done well and i know not of what i speak.

Well constructed tunes and well done performance-wise. :)

I think I preferred young star dreams as a song, but sonically, it's a draw. I felt there was a bit too much verb on the vocals on its alright...on both tunes, mix-wise, everything seems a bit dense. the vocals get lost at times especially when things pick up a bit (like in the chorus of young star dreams) and the guitars build. i could stand to hear more separation in the middle somehow. bass sounds good. kind of extreme panning on the drums, but cool nonetheless.

But really...you have done well and i know not of what i speak.

Thanks for the comments, Can you tell me what your listening chain/enviromeni is please, same to anyone else that has a listen, thanks

Alex

Hi Alex

Both sounds very good. Really "fat",but very well balanced (not boomy) mixes.

Ciro

*mix is a little "in the middle".Some pan tricks could be used (hi hat, guitars)for a better stereo separation/image

Last edited:
Hi Alex

Both sounds very good. Really "fat",but very well balanced (not boomy) mixes.

Ciro

*mix is a little "in the middle".Some pan tricks could be used (hi hat, guitars)for a better stereo separation/image

Thanks Ciro, I'm aware the toms have too much stereo spread on them while the guitars could use a little more

keep them coming, and let me know what you're listening on please. I want feadback from all angles to see how well this travels to other systems, thanks

Alex

Can you tell me what your listening chain/enviromeni is please

Are you questioning my listening chain!?!

Well, you should. :D I listened on a small pair of computer speakers with a subwoofer and a second time with a pair of average consumer grade sony headphones. It is all relative to what other mixes sound like on this same cheapo set-up for me.

I think you already effectively stated what I was trying to get at...

"the toms have too much stereo spread on them while the guitars could use a little more"

That is basically what I meant...I think.

Hi, Lemon,if "what you´re listen on" means...

Well, I´m listening on a pair of 5" woofer and a treated room (lots of bass traps).Then,(I think/hope:D) I´m with condictions to said your mixes sounds good.

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/openstation

Thanks for sharing!
I'm thinking the vocals and bass stand out as the best sounding tracks in these....er tracks. And that's good, because those are the two things that the mixer has probably left it's sonic imprint on the most. Would you agree with that last statement, Lemon?
Can you tell us what you used out of the board, as far as mixdown? Did you use the mixer to mix, or did you use Cubase's software mixer? How about EQ, compression, or reverb?

I'm listening on my skullcandy inked ear buds.... Best $15 I ever spent. They're a little buzzy around 5k but do a fantastic job at isolation and bass response.

Peace!

~Shawn

Thanks for sharing!
I'm thinking the vocals and bass stand out as the best sounding tracks in these....er tracks. And that's good, because those are the two things that the mixer has probably left it's sonic imprint on the most. Would you agree with that last statement, Lemon?
Can you tell us what you used out of the board, as far as mixdown? Did you use the mixer to mix, or did you use Cubase's software mixer? How about EQ, compression, or reverb?

I'm listening on my skullcandy inked ear buds.... Best $15 I ever spent. They're a little buzzy around 5k but do a fantastic job at isolation and bass response.

Peace!

~Shawn

Hi Shawn, I made a template of stereo stems for the most part, chan 1/2 stereo stem 1 got the drums, chanel 3/4 stereo stem 2, main guitars left n right. I used a few of my UAD-1 plugs from within cubase S4, put the plate 140 reverb on the 11/12 bus which is stem 6 on my template.

Most of the kit was treated seperately with LA2a on kick and snare, 1176LN on the overheads/room..one or the other. I used moderate eq and compression on most busses and the reverb from the desk on the lead guitar parts.

Didn't bother to use a track sheet cause it was a first mix and probably won't be the last one of these two.

I think I was going for as close to a flat fader mix on the board for easy recal in CS4 but I know doing it this way opened out the mix more than if I'd mixed entirely in cubase and sent the whole mix out stereo. I'm very pleased with the results and know what needs to be fixed.

On a side note...what I was using before was a big analog desk and 3 Delta 1010's and a rack full of mid priced hardware. I feel the transition has already started paying off and I hope I can better my first attempts. With the sound of the N12 I'm sure this won't be hard to do.

Alex

Hi Shawn, I made a template of stereo stems for the most part, chan 1/2 stereo stem 1 got the drums, chanel 3/4 stereo stem 2, main guitars left n right. I used a few of my UAD-1 plugs from within cubase S4, put the plate 140 reverb on the 11/12 bus which is stem 6 on my template.

Most of the kit was treated seperately with LA2a on kick and snare, 1176LN on the overheads/room..one or the other. I used moderate eq and compression on most busses and the reverb from the desk on the lead guitar parts.

Didn't bother to use a track sheet cause it was a first mix and probably won't be the last one of these two.

I think I was going for as close to a flat fader mix on the board for easy recal in CS4 but I know doing it this way opened out the mix more than if I'd mixed entirely in cubase and sent the whole mix out stereo. I'm very pleased with the results and know what needs to be fixed.

On a side note...what I was using before was a big analog desk and 3 Delta 1010's and a rack full of mid priced hardware. I feel the transition has already started paying off and I hope I can better my first attempts. With the sound of the N12 I'm sure this won't be hard to do.

Alex

Thanks for the breakdown. I have a 32 channel digital board and use none of its 100s of features mixing down. All my mixs are done in cubase, just for the reason you specified.... recall. I just came to terms with the fact that I don't want to lose my mixes if my board takes a crap, nor do I want any hassels trying to recall my mixes from Cubase and an outboard digital mixer.

Anyways, please continue to post regarding this piece of gear.... I think it's one of the most interesting things to hit the market in a long while, and will appreciate your sharing..

Peace!

~Shawn

Hey Lemon,
Sounds really good, some of the best mixes I've heard from you. The only thing you might try is lower the overall bass a couple db and also the mid bass a couple as well, and yes the vocals could come up a little. My setup is parasound amps, broadband and traps, custom speakers. didn't have time for real world listening.

PS yes you know about the few panning problems, plus the HH could use some taming.

Man I know I've been gone about 6 months but this place has really gone down hill. 300+ hits and 4 guys have a listen, what happened to this place?

I was hoping to get some feedback on the new setup from some more people that were familiar from my earlier mixes in the mix competitions and stuff :confused:

I'm listening on Studio Phile DX4's run through my Lexicon to the PC.

It's Alright

Intro very quiet start to a sudden 00:8 JUMP in your ears and make ya piss yourself decimal, was a bit cruel...I am nearing the 101 mark ya know....:eek::D...naw..I actually like how it does that!!!

I really like the Kick drive in the song...but around 2:34 something happens with the drums...the kick begins to boom and it overtakes everything..or is it the combination of bass and kick drum doing that...? I am not to sure.

I think the rhythm guits could be kicked up a bit in the intro and the lead solo 2:30..not a lot...maybe a db. The guit behind the vox at 2:50 could be defined a bit..like the intro one at 0:16...don't think it would eat up the vox either...just a suggestion to sharpen it's presence.

1:11 and 1:37 sounds like a split second drops of volume that are noticable ...anyway to my ears.

Young Star Dreams

I like the bass in this one.

And at 1:47... 2:23 ...2:30..2:58...there is a dropout of volume again, for those split seconds..but it's noticable...not sure what that is all about.:confused:

As far as mix goes, I don't hear any problems really.

Both songs are reminisce of good ol' 60's rock n roll.

My favorite of the two is It's Alright..:)

Did you write these songs and play all the instruments(other than drums) Lemon?

Sorry I'm not much help ...

...300+ hits and 4 guys have a listen, what happened to this place?
HR's mp3 clinic is slowly becoming yet another mp3 forum where people post music and wait for others to comment, yet they themselves don't comment on anyone else's music.

I'm listening on Studio Phile DX4's run through my Lexicon to the PC.

It's Alright

Intro very quiet start to a sudden 00:8 JUMP in your ears and make ya piss yourself decimal, was a bit cruel...I am nearing the 101 mark ya know....:eek::D...naw..I actually like how it does that!!!

I really like the Kick drive in the song...but around 2:34 something happens with the drums...the kick begins to boom and it overtakes everything..or is it the combination of bass and kick drum doing that...? I am not to sure.

I think the rhythm guits could be kicked up a bit in the intro and the lead solo 2:30..not a lot...maybe a db. The guit behind the vox at 2:50 could be defined a bit..like the intro one at 0:16...don't think it would eat up the vox either...just a suggestion to sharpen it's presence.

1:11 and 1:37 sounds like a split second drops of volume that are noticable ...anyway to my ears.

Young Star Dreams

I like the bass in this one.

And at 1:47... 2:23 ...2:30..2:58...there is a dropout of volume again, for those split seconds..but it's noticable...not sure what that is all about.:confused:

As far as mix goes, I don't hear any problems really.

Both songs are reminisce of good ol' 60's rock n roll.

My favorite of the two is It's Alright..:)

Did you write these songs and play all the instruments(other than drums) Lemon?

Nice, True!:cool:

Sorry I'm not much help ...
:confused::confused:!!!

Its alright

I liked "Its alright" the best. It has a good energy to it that drives the song start to finish. I have a little bit different take on the bass and bass drum insofar as I didn't hear any real connection on the bottom end of the mix. The kick is hard and crisp(maybe a bit to much in the front of the mix) but you have a muddy bass that seems somehow disconnected from its kick brother. Just my opinion for sure but I have done a lot of live playing and I know that a kick/bass hookup is a magical thing and when its recorded right it can transform a good mix into a real toe tapper.

Maybe its just me (and it well could be) but I think that you can give the bass a little more signature definition and pull that kick down a little so they both have something good to contribute and neither one stands out above the other but both operate in sonic unity giving your great song some kick ass bottom end. Keep up the great work, you really have some talent my friend.

R

http://www.soundclick.com/mothersbadson

Back