Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First 2 recordings and mixes on the yamaha N12

Thanks

First 2 recordings and mixes on the yamaha N12

Sign in to disable this ad
    HERE they are

It's Alright & Young Star Dreams

bass N12 Hi Z channel, drums: edrums triggering ezdrummer, guitars: pod XT, vocals: studio projects B1

Everything tracked and mixed on the Yamaha N12

Alex
    Lemontree Studio
    Not bitter, not twisted!

Thanks
    Well constructed tunes and well done performance-wise.

I think I preferred young star dreams as a song, but sonically, it's a draw. I felt there was a bit too much verb on the vocals on its alright...on both tunes, mix-wise, everything seems a bit dense. the vocals get lost at times especially when things pick up a bit (like in the chorus of young star dreams) and the guitars build. i could stand to hear more separation in the middle somehow. bass sounds good. kind of extreme panning on the drums, but cool nonetheless.

But really...you have done well and i know not of what i speak.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    Well constructed tunes and well done performance-wise.

I think I preferred young star dreams as a song, but sonically, it's a draw. I felt there was a bit too much verb on the vocals on its alright...on both tunes, mix-wise, everything seems a bit dense. the vocals get lost at times especially when things pick up a bit (like in the chorus of young star dreams) and the guitars build. i could stand to hear more separation in the middle somehow. bass sounds good. kind of extreme panning on the drums, but cool nonetheless.

But really...you have done well and i know not of what i speak.

Thanks for the comments, Can you tell me what your listening chain/enviromeni is please, same to anyone else that has a listen, thanks

Alex
    Lemontree Studio
    Not bitter, not twisted!

Thanks
    Hi Alex

Both sounds very good. Really "fat",but very well balanced (not boomy) mixes.

Ciro

*mix is a little "in the middle".Some pan tricks could be used (hi hat, guitars)for a better stereo separation/image
    Last edited by CIRO; 05-13-2008 at 10:56.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CIRO View Post
    Hi Alex

Both sounds very good. Really "fat",but very well balanced (not boomy) mixes.

Ciro

*mix is a little "in the middle".Some pan tricks could be used (hi hat, guitars)for a better stereo separation/image
    Thanks Ciro, I'm aware the toms have too much stereo spread on them while the guitars could use a little more

keep them coming, and let me know what you're listening on please. I want feadback from all angles to see how well this travels to other systems, thanks

Alex
    Lemontree Studio
    Not bitter, not twisted!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonTree View Post
    Can you tell me what your listening chain/enviromeni is please
    Are you questioning my listening chain!?!

Well, you should. I listened on a small pair of computer speakers with a subwoofer and a second time with a pair of average consumer grade sony headphones. It is all relative to what other mixes sound like on this same cheapo set-up for me.

I think you already effectively stated what I was trying to get at...

"the toms have too much stereo spread on them while the guitars could use a little more"

That is basically what I meant...I think.

Thanks
    Hi, Lemon,if "what youre listen on" means...

Well, Im listening on a pair of 5" woofer and a treated room (lots of bass traps).Then,(I think/hope) Im with condictions to said your mixes sounds good.

Ciro
    www.soundclick.com/openstation

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing!
    I'm thinking the vocals and bass stand out as the best sounding tracks in these....er tracks. And that's good, because those are the two things that the mixer has probably left it's sonic imprint on the most. Would you agree with that last statement, Lemon?
    Can you tell us what you used out of the board, as far as mixdown? Did you use the mixer to mix, or did you use Cubase's software mixer? How about EQ, compression, or reverb?

I'm listening on my skullcandy inked ear buds.... Best $15 I ever spent. They're a little buzzy around 5k but do a fantastic job at isolation and bass response.

Peace!

~Shawn

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eyema_believer View Post
    Thanks for sharing!
    I'm thinking the vocals and bass stand out as the best sounding tracks in these....er tracks. And that's good, because those are the two things that the mixer has probably left it's sonic imprint on the most. Would you agree with that last statement, Lemon?
    Can you tell us what you used out of the board, as far as mixdown? Did you use the mixer to mix, or did you use Cubase's software mixer? How about EQ, compression, or reverb?

I'm listening on my skullcandy inked ear buds.... Best $15 I ever spent. They're a little buzzy around 5k but do a fantastic job at isolation and bass response.

Peace!

~Shawn
    Hi Shawn, I made a template of stereo stems for the most part, chan 1/2 stereo stem 1 got the drums, chanel 3/4 stereo stem 2, main guitars left n right. I used a few of my UAD-1 plugs from within cubase S4, put the plate 140 reverb on the 11/12 bus which is stem 6 on my template.

Most of the kit was treated seperately with LA2a on kick and snare, 1176LN on the overheads/room..one or the other. I used moderate eq and compression on most busses and the reverb from the desk on the lead guitar parts.

Didn't bother to use a track sheet cause it was a first mix and probably won't be the last one of these two.

I think I was going for as close to a flat fader mix on the board for easy recal in CS4 but I know doing it this way opened out the mix more than if I'd mixed entirely in cubase and sent the whole mix out stereo. I'm very pleased with the results and know what needs to be fixed.

On a side note...what I was using before was a big analog desk and 3 Delta 1010's and a rack full of mid priced hardware. I feel the transition has already started paying off and I hope I can better my first attempts. With the sound of the N12 I'm sure this won't be hard to do.

Alex
    Lemontree Studio
    Not bitter, not twisted!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonTree View Post
    Hi Shawn, I made a template of stereo stems for the most part, chan 1/2 stereo stem 1 got the drums, chanel 3/4 stereo stem 2, main guitars left n right. I used a few of my UAD-1 plugs from within cubase S4, put the plate 140 reverb on the 11/12 bus which is stem 6 on my template.

Most of the kit was treated seperately with LA2a on kick and snare, 1176LN on the overheads/room..one or the other. I used moderate eq and compression on most busses and the reverb from the desk on the lead guitar parts.

Didn't bother to use a track sheet cause it was a first mix and probably won't be the last one of these two.

I think I was going for as close to a flat fader mix on the board for easy recal in CS4 but I know doing it this way opened out the mix more than if I'd mixed entirely in cubase and sent the whole mix out stereo. I'm very pleased with the results and know what needs to be fixed.

On a side note...what I was using before was a big analog desk and 3 Delta 1010's and a rack full of mid priced hardware. I feel the transition has already started paying off and I hope I can better my first attempts. With the sound of the N12 I'm sure this won't be hard to do.

Alex
    Thanks for the breakdown. I have a 32 channel digital board and use none of its 100s of features mixing down. All my mixs are done in cubase, just for the reason you specified.... recall. I just came to terms with the fact that I don't want to lose my mixes if my board takes a crap, nor do I want any hassels trying to recall my mixes from Cubase and an outboard digital mixer.

Anyways, please continue to post regarding this piece of gear.... I think it's one of the most interesting things to hit the market in a long while, and will appreciate your sharing..

Peace!

~Shawn

Thread Information