Fire in the Hole

La9

Would love to have your opinion on this track. It`s the first track I have produced and mixed for our band One and A Half Dog.
Drums are live drums with blended in samples for snare, kick and toms. I had a vision of a low, almost "sloppy" kick for this tune wich I am quite happy with. Guitars are blends of live guitars recorded from cranked amps, a Marshall 100w SuperLead and a Mesa Dual Rectifier, blended with some DI guitars with LePau amp sims. Vocals are doubletracked with the double part volume and pan automated troughout the song. There`s also some automated delays on the vocal tracks.

Fire in the Hole, a song by One and a half dog on Spotify

I would bring the drums down a bit, not much, then boost every thing else to push to towards loudness. Not beat the shit out of it with compression, but boost and touch it get some boost to push it up.

Really good tune, lots of elements that make it very interesting and just overall good craftsmanship.

You did good man.

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing! Nice production in general. Here are some things I would do to make it even better:

1. Drums are a little dry to me, very mono and lacking punch. I would try adding a drum reverb on the whole drum buss, adding a dedicated snare reverb (possibly gated) and try some parallel compression.
Also the snare sounds like there is too much bottom snare. If this is not the case, I would try to clipping or adding a transient designer.
2. Great guitar tones - no changes needed there.

Hope this is useful. Rock on!

I hope this isn't an insult. This has a vibe of heavy metal when I used to listen to it (early Sabbath). I think it sounds great. I'm sure it could be mixed till the end of time. But, if I heard this version I wouldn't turn it off.

Thanks to you all for listening and commenting. As for the drums and the punch in the low end, I sat in with the mastering engineer on the mastering session. I told him to bring out as much punch in the low end as possible, yet still have the mix transfering well to smaller systems. I think he did a great job on just that.
There is some reverb on both snare, toms, and the drumbus. There`s also quite a lot of room in the drumsamples that are blended in (Beta Monkey Drums)

Snowman999, Comparing to early Sabbath is an honour. I love it!

Overall very good. Really nothing to critique. The snare/kick need to sound slightly bigger. Might consider some reverb or room mic'ing or something to give them slightly more ambiance - but overall good and totally passable. This is your FIRST song you mixed ever - or for this particular band?

Yes...Sabbath especially during the chorus. Thats a good thing for sure. I think the mix is good. My opinion I think the snare may be getting too much attention being as forward as it is...but I think it still sounds good. Great job

Overall very good. Really nothing to critique. The snare/kick need to sound slightly bigger. Might consider some reverb or room mic'ing or something to give them slightly more ambiance - but overall good and totally passable. This is your FIRST song you mixed ever - or for this particular band?

Thanks! It`s the first song I have ever mixed for mastering and release.

Yes...Sabbath especially during the chorus. Thats a good thing for sure. I think the mix is good. My opinion I think the snare may be getting too much attention being as forward as it is...but I think it still sounds good. Great job

Thank you!
The snare was actually a little nightmare in this song. Our drummer plays a lot of ghost notes and that makes it really difficult when you want to put a gate on the snare to trigger the added snare samples.I am sure there is an easy way around this problem so any advice will be mostly appreciated.

YEA, all the streaming services have a ceiling they impose...
do some research, it's part of learning how to master properly.

I see. I didn`t master the track. I left that to a professional mastering studio. Sounds way better on Spotify and other platforms than on Youtube.
I have pitched the same master to a lot of radiostations as well and as for the moment it has around 80 spins on different stations.

Back