finished mixing--please review

VertuGoGo

hi guys, been a long time since i posted on this board. i got most of my help from the great people here. BIG THANKS btw! we've finished recording our demo, and there are three songs uploaded on our site at www.astralis.iuma.com.

i did most of the mixing, and i think i did pretty good considering i know very little about recording. my general rule for recording was "get each track as loud as possible (red line levels), then back them off as needed." i was also very conservative when using effects. i try to use the source busses as a way to "group" tracks that use the same effect like reverb or compression. i use 4 source busses--one for guitars (including bass guitar), one for drums, one for cymbals, and one for vocals. most of the effects i use are on those source busses and not on the individual tracks themselves because they use up a lot of memory. i have two others available, but for some reason when i use them , the other tracks become silent.

i did not use the auxilliary busses because of the simple fact that i don't know how to use them. at first i thought i can use them as a way to funnel all the tracks into one bus and use that bus to compress the signals one more time hoping it'll make the sound quality better. i pretty much use one kind of compression (the built-in "final mix" compression patch). i also did not do any mastering because i don't know how to even begin doing it. i probably only used 25% of sonar 2.0 XL's capacity.

anyway, like i said, the songs are available on the link above. i welcome any suggestions on how to improve the sound quality. thanks!!!

Gene

Back