Finally I am done!! A nice, slow song for you all.

Beezoboy

Home Recording Guru
My band finished tracking our album on Sat, Oct 4th and after a grueling 25 hour mixdown (yes 25 straight with only meal breaks) I have the mixes back from the Mastering Engineer. He only did light mastering. He did a little limiting, expanded the stereo image, and added some air to my mixes.

To me it was subtle but noticable.

Anyway here is a track by my band called Star. It is one of my favorites right now and is an emotional song about the lead singers friend who commited suicide about 3 years ago.

If you want to comment on the mix it is fine, but I am not going to remix it. If you enjoy the song or the production please comment.

Beez

Last edited:
Link doesnt work.I went to the download page on your site and tried it that way but the link isnt active there either.

A little bit of truncating and detective work and I found the problem with the link...case sensitivity!

Try this one:

Very nice song. Very Tommy Shaw sounding. That, to me, is a good thing. I've always been a fan of his.

I do hear the air you were speaking of, not sure what it sounded like before but is very nice. Great song!! I liked it once it picked up more than the slower parts, but thats just me.

SpaceBoy

Beezoboy-

Wow! 25 hours, my ears would have been fried after the first 3 or 4 hours. You've got a very reasonable sounding mix here. I could hear your toms alot better on this song than previous ones, did you use a different mic setup? Its a nice song as well.
Where did you get the mastering done at? share if you don't mind.

Listening now

Wow, excellent opening. Vocals are terrific--love the background instrumentals.

It's kicking in now--Nice full sound--a little dark sounding, but it works. Nice playing! excellent sound!. Vocals still clear!!!!!!

Nice quiet part--clean guitar is very cool. Nice pitch control with the voice--this is tough stuff to sing. Everything still holding together.

This is great piece! The ending is a little abrupt, I think a fade out going back to just the clean guitar and the vocals singing the reprise would be better, but that is me.

Wireneck
Yeah 25 hours of mixing was insane. I would get 2 or 3 songs done and take a meal break. Sometimes I mixed while standing in a different room if that makes any sense. I also had my guitarist as an extra set of ears for about 12 hours of the mixing.

I actually only used 5 mics on the set. 2 Overheads that are SP B-1's spaced one over floor tom and one over snare. Kick was a Peavey 520i. Snare was a 57. Out front I used the U87 about 3 feet in front of the kick facing up towards the bottom of the toms.

I then combined the overheads and the front mic to make a pseudo tom track. Then I eq'ed some extra bass and attack into the toms.

Mastering was done by a guy that is awesome out of Memphis Tennessee. He also mastered Evanescence, ZZ Top, 3 Doors Down, Aliyah and others. To top it all he is a very nice guy. I will say that is was not cheap. If you have a bit of extra cash and want his contact info though, I'll give it to you. Just e-mail me.

Thanks everyone else for the comments and listening.
Beez

I liked the clean guitar part (the one that's prominent in the quieter sections). Both the part and the sound were nice. Not sure about the wind chimes. Good vocals. The little bass line in the "quiet sections" sounded nice.

The "heavier" sections sounded a little muddy to my ears. A little definition is lost on that distorted guitar I think. I like the doubled guitars through that section though - very tightly played.

Harmonies would have been nice in spots. I'd have gone for a little "bigger" reverb - longer decay.

A pop at 4:20. Might be a cymbal mis-hit? Not sure. Another smaller one at 4:34.

I’m a sucker for a bell tree! Haven’t heard one in ages – cool. That vocal – damn, man, what an intro!! The voice is awesome – and I mean feaking awesome! This is just a first-class, first-rate performance mix and master job. I definitely hear the ‘air’ especially surrounding the voice. I’d be curious to know what it sounded like before mastering. You wanted comments on the song and the performance – my only comment is: excellent! Nice sentiment for a friend, too. I’d love to hear this band live.
~Milan

Hmmm. . . I don't about any pops. Maybe it was just your download. There are some differences in cymbal hits once in a while that might draw attention, but no pops.

Sorry if you don't like the chimes. People just associate bright mettalic sounds with Stars so to me it just fits. They shimmer in and out like a star would sparkle. They really set the text I think. Its ok though. To each his own.

I am quite happy with how this album turned out. Most of the other songs sound this good too. We are going to have it on Amazon later this month hopefully.

MC Gitarz. . . where are you from? We are currently working on booking a summer tour and if you are in the USA we might be coming to a city near to you.

Thanks for the new replies.

Beez

beezo-

"I actually only used 5 mics on the set. 2 Overheads that are SP B-1's spaced one over floor tom and one over snare. Kick was a Peavey 520i. Snare was a 57. Out front I used the U87 about 3 feet in front of the kick facing up towards the bottom of the toms."
I believe this is the same mic setup you described to me before. The toms stand out alot more on this one i guess because there isn't alot going on with the cymbals and stuff to mask the toms. Sounds good man.
im not to worried about the mastering info right now. I was just curious as to who you went with. Thanks for the info and keep us posted on when the full thing is available.

Beez,

Awesome tune, send me a CD, lol

Man you can feel the emotion in it. Very intense. Great vocals.

larry

p.s. I love the mic you sent me. Thanks again:)

Gatorhaus I could send you a CD for $10 maybe? :)

Or maybe we can work something out.

Pm me if you do indeed want one.

Beez

Oh yeah!

OH YEAHHHH!!!!

BEEZO-BIZZLE, U nailed this joint!!! It's got everything!!! Tite mix,
sweet perf's, vocs that rock, and a song that commands your attention!

Yup! I burned this joint to C/D to add to my HR.COM, jam-in-my-truck collection!

*****5 stars!!

Back