Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finally I am done!! A nice, slow song for you all.

Thanks

Finally I am done!! A nice, slow song for you all.

Sign in to disable this ad
    My band finished tracking our album on Sat, Oct 4th and after a grueling 25 hour mixdown (yes 25 straight with only meal breaks) I have the mixes back from the Mastering Engineer. He only did light mastering. He did a little limiting, expanded the stereo image, and added some air to my mixes.

To me it was subtle but noticable.

Anyway here is a track by my band called Star. It is one of my favorites right now and is an emotional song about the lead singers friend who commited suicide about 3 years ago.

If you want to comment on the mix it is fine, but I am not going to remix it. If you enjoy the song or the production please comment.

www.elohsa.com/beezoboy/star.MP3

Beez
    Last edited by Beezoboy; 10-08-2003 at 07:18.
    My mic collection sucks now, but at least I have a girlfreind.

Thanks
    Link doesnt work.I went to the download page on your site and tried it that way but the link isnt active there either.

Thanks
    Not Found
    The requested URL /beezoboy/star.mp3 was not found on this server.

Thanks
    A little bit of truncating and detective work and I found the problem with the link...case sensitivity!

Try this one:
    http://www.elohsa.com/beezoboy/star.MP3

Very nice song. Very Tommy Shaw sounding. That, to me, is a good thing. I've always been a fan of his.

Thanks
    I do hear the air you were speaking of, not sure what it sounded like before but is very nice. Great song!! I liked it once it picked up more than the slower parts, but thats just me.

SpaceBoy

Thanks
    Thanks for fixing the link Chris. I edited on the main link.

Beez

Thanks

Beezoboy-

Wow! 25 hours, my ears would have been fried after the first 3 or 4 hours. You've got a very reasonable sounding mix here. I could hear your toms alot better on this song than previous ones, did you use a different mic setup? Its a nice song as well.
    Where did you get the mastering done at? share if you don't mind.

Thanks

Listening now

Wow, excellent opening. Vocals are terrific--love the background instrumentals.

It's kicking in now--Nice full sound--a little dark sounding, but it works. Nice playing! excellent sound!. Vocals still clear!!!!!!

Nice quiet part--clean guitar is very cool. Nice pitch control with the voice--this is tough stuff to sing. Everything still holding together.

This is great piece! The ending is a little abrupt, I think a fade out going back to just the clean guitar and the vocals singing the reprise would be better, but that is me.

Thanks
    Wireneck
    Yeah 25 hours of mixing was insane. I would get 2 or 3 songs done and take a meal break. Sometimes I mixed while standing in a different room if that makes any sense. I also had my guitarist as an extra set of ears for about 12 hours of the mixing.

I actually only used 5 mics on the set. 2 Overheads that are SP B-1's spaced one over floor tom and one over snare. Kick was a Peavey 520i. Snare was a 57. Out front I used the U87 about 3 feet in front of the kick facing up towards the bottom of the toms.

I then combined the overheads and the front mic to make a pseudo tom track. Then I eq'ed some extra bass and attack into the toms.

Mastering was done by a guy that is awesome out of Memphis Tennessee. He also mastered Evanescence, ZZ Top, 3 Doors Down, Aliyah and others. To top it all he is a very nice guy. I will say that is was not cheap. If you have a bit of extra cash and want his contact info though, I'll give it to you. Just e-mail me.

Thanks everyone else for the comments and listening.
    Beez

Thanks
    I liked the clean guitar part (the one that's prominent in the quieter sections). Both the part and the sound were nice. Not sure about the wind chimes. Good vocals. The little bass line in the "quiet sections" sounded nice.

The "heavier" sections sounded a little muddy to my ears. A little definition is lost on that distorted guitar I think. I like the doubled guitars through that section though - very tightly played.

Harmonies would have been nice in spots. I'd have gone for a little "bigger" reverb - longer decay.

A pop at 4:20. Might be a cymbal mis-hit? Not sure. Another smaller one at 4:34.

Thread Information