Finally got a chance to record some real bass!

SLuiCe

I borrowed my brother's new 200 dollar Epiphone bass...it's at least enough to make me really want to buy a nice bass.

Here's a simple tune that gave me a chance to try it out. I'm not a very experienced bass player, but it felt great to get real bass strings in my hands. I've been doing all my bass with a synth, and as a guitar player that's really not nearly as fun as real strings. Anyway, maybe working the overtime it takes for a quality bass would be worth it for me?

Thanks for your time!

Perry

(I promise I'll try not to make too many excuses about the bass playing!) :D

Ya had some trouble uploading it...should be up in a few minutes...sorry about that.

Ran the bass through an Art Tube MP pre that I've been saving for the day could record a bass. I originally bought it for vocals, but got something better.

Should be up soon...

Nice tune SLuiCe!

If it was me (and I know it's not :D ) I'd actually bring the bass up in the mix more. What I can hear sounds good. I listened through headphones in case your wondering.

I like it.

:)

~scott

First thing that comes to my mind (besides having another awesome SLuiCe tune to listen to) is raise the Bass up but I'm only listening on phones at work so I can't wait to listen on my home system. I'm very interested in hearing what you do with Bass in your recordings because I recently started in with Bass on my own stuff. I've got a G & L ASAT which is an active Bass and I seem to have a lot of problems with noise, but I think a fair amount of that is my playing.
I may sell this thing, it's too heavy for me! :D

Looking forward to more real Bass. Not knocking synths but I like the real thing!

Thanks a lot guys! You're right...I got all paranoid and mixed it down! :eek:

I'll have the new mp3 up in about 10 minutes if you want to hear it and let me know if it's loud enough.

OK I have listened to both versions (on cheap headphones mind you with a smily EQ set) but I think the bass came up too much.

Now I want to say I have the same problems. When I bring my bass up to hear it clearly it gets muddy, probably because I don't know how to record it properly yet (which sucks because it is my main instrument).

I tried recording my active bass through the Tube MP and really had a problem (I gave up through the MP probably too quickly) but have heard it done well through the MP.

So I am rambling but let me get to the important part, the song is really good as usual. The guitars and harmonies sounded great. I always look forward to your posts.

It should be better now, but I'm kinda polishing a turd here. The epiphone's tones don't exactly get my blood bubbling. :(

So I've got one whacky looking EQ line on it. Looks a bit like a profile view of Mount Rushmore. I think I can even make out George's cheekbones.

That's better!

You using any compression? I run my Bass into a Joe Meek pre and I really pump the compression on it but it seems to help.

But yeah, at the end of the day a cheap instrument is still a cheap instrument. But you sure as hell know how to use it. Nice tune man!

:)

Sounds great! I dig it...nice job man. Best sounding turd ever :D

I really like the recording, nice tune.

I'm using a little RNC on it for compression. I only dedicated about 20 minutes to setting up the bass sound, figuring it's just a cheap bass that I'll re-track with a better one. BUT, I think it could have used a bit more compression, don't you? Maybe tomorrow I'll toy with some software compression on it.

Thanks for the feedback you guys. This should be a very educational thread by the time it's gone.

*listening while I type, and I guess I'm listening to the last version* :)

Interesting tune, certainly one of your most poppy tunes. I don't think it's a surprise I'm a sucker for these pop crossovers. :)

I don't think the bass sounds that bad. I would even call it 'good'. It's mixed a bit louder than I would mix it, but we're here to comment on the bass so I can see why you did that. :) Sure, it sounds different than I would do it, but that isn't necessarily bad.

Whoa, cool solo! Again, some brilliant guitarwork on this one, btw.

I've heard some intonation issues in the vocals...mainly the beginning...you probably know that already ;)

posted by skids on cheap headphones mind you with a smily EQ set

Just wondering, by no means trying to piss you off, but are you listening to mixes posted on this clinic with a smily EQ set? Different speakers color the sound more than enough, let alone smily EQ sets! :)

Thanks Pedullist. Ya the singing pretty much sucks on this. I've been kinda picking at the tune throughout the week after work. If I still like the song after a week or two, maybe I'll re-track the vocals. It's hard for me to hold a note when I'm tired from construction all day. Don't ya wish we could get paid to practice our singing? :)

Glad you like the guitars!

You have no idea how I understand what you mean, SLuiCE!

It's just these last few months that my singing has improved enough to reach the 'standard OK sound'. Actually, bass is the only instrument that I can pick up and make it sound OK immediately, without having to practice it for an hour/day/week.

Humming a lot during the day can help a lot, btw! Just practicing scales and stuff, intervals....take it from me, it works! (if your coworkers can stand it, of course)

Back