Final Mix for Demo CD ( I hope)

JasonBird

Average Member
Hey all,
I finished recording, and mixing , etc these songs for my drummer friends band. They are all very happy with the final product, but i'd like to hear your opinions and suggestions. I posted one, of these that was recorded several weeks ago, and have since re-recorded them all. Hopefully they sound good to you guys. they sound great in my car!! I have about 40 hours in this so far, even my kids wistle along with the my give a damn's busted melody!!

Have a listen to any or all of them!

They were recorded in my basement studio.

I appreciate it!!

JasonBird

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2169&alid=-1

almost forgot the link!!

wow. i can see why theyd be happy with this. i listened to all 3 and anything i could say would be nit picky.

the vocal is strong and clear and she sounds good.

really nice work.

Why thank you very much

I've just about given up on ever getting any feedback from this forum. I'm not sure why , i try and give feedback to others.I don't feel very qualified to give technical advice, oh well.

Thanks for the listen and the post. I appreciate it!!

JAsonBird

Hi

The recording and mixing are excellent. The band could be more tight (specially the guitar) but that's nice work on your part.

Excellent work.

/Jack Real

Hey JasonBird, I can't offer anything are far as the production goes as I'm listening on crappy speakers right now at work. With that being said it still sounded great.

I love the vocals. She's got a great voice. I only had a chance to listen to My Give a Damn is Busted but I found it to be a real catchy tune. I hate to do comparisons and such so sorry in advance but it sounds like a combination of Shania Twain/Bonny Rait (intended as a compliment).

Well done.

First off, nice work!

My only two nits are that there is a bit of a hard edge to the vocals - especially in "Cornfed". The other one is that the snare tends to be pretty buried throughout most of the mix. It comes thru fine in the quieter parts - it may just need some automation.

You did a really nice job from what I can tell. The guitars in cornfed sound a little small to me, and I can't really tell if it's a volume thing or an EQ thing or a placement thing...You've got her vocal really upfront, which is appropriate in country-ish tunes.

I know you're done with these, but one thing that helps fill out the guitars when I'm doing this kind of stuff is to mix in a few acoustic guitar tracks...really low, but supportive. It's almost like a harmonic thing...it just makes the tracks bigger. I do the same thing on acoustic songs, btw...mix in some distorted electrics pretty low and wide.

"My Give A Damn's Busted" - This track is just about perfect to my ears.

Wow!!

Thanks a lot!

Thanks again Groovy...I almost thought the vox were too loud, but resisted the urge to turn them down. She does have a nice Voice!

Jack - Thanks for the listen and compiments. I agree, there were a few screw up but they wanted to live with them.Each song was recorded about three to four times, and then I selected the best ones. One interesting part, on help me make it through....the lead guitar player thought the song was over at the solo part...hence the pause...but they kept going, and i like it actually!!

Thanks Beerhunter - She would definately take that as a compliment!! Thanks for the feedback.

NL5 - I agree, the snare was not miked , and when i do it again, i'll put a sm57 in there somewhere!!

chris - Thanks for the listen - I've come a long way and have listened to your stuff for many years it seems. BTW - your daughter is really singing well these days!! I miss Jamal, an LT bob and the rest of theguys... Your opinion means a lot to me. Thanks a ton!!!

JasonBird

I love these mixes, it just sounds so authentic. Great atmosphere.

It's too bad about the snare though, it definetly needs much more attack.

Other than that, perfect. Especially the vocals, wow.

I've just about given up on ever getting any feedback from this forum. I'm not sure why , i try and give feedback to others.I don't feel very qualified to give technical advice, oh well.

Thanks for the listen and the post. I appreciate it!!

JAsonBird

no prob i was looking back for threads with 0 replies and i found some nice stuff. i thought maybe nobody replied because its intimidating hearing something this well crafted.

its a true representation of a band. right from the first bit with corn fed.

im glad you got a bunch of feedback too!

Very cool stuff and it all sounds pretty damn nice.

Track 3 sounds best to my ears. They all sounds very good though. The only thing I'd say is that the rythem guit and snare (at least in #1 & #3) could use a touch more presence for my ears.

The vocals do have a closer feel than the rest of the mix but, that's a taste thing I guess. You can't ignore the vocals on these songs.

I am anything but a country expert though, sooooo :D

Anyway very cool stuff & a great job.

F.S.

Thanks to all

thanks again for the feedback everybody!! I've had a lot of trouble with my ears over the last two years, and had lost confidence in my ability, his really helps restore it!!
JasonBird

Personally, I think the vocals are a bit loud and the drums could come up a bit in the mix! But that's just me, being a drummer... lol

Back