Final Metal Mix

VesuviusJay

Poser Roaster
hehe!!!

Check out this final mix. I finally took a crash course in EQ 101 so I got a real nice mix going on here. Thanks to Blue Bear and the thread on EQ I was able to bring all the instruments WAY out. What do you think.

\m/

The Mids are way too hyped in this mix.Mids are really all I can discern in this mix.

Thanks for listening man!! WOW! First time I have heard someone say the mids are too hyped! I usually get the "bring out the mids" comment. I must be doing something overly right then eh... Cool I will fire the monitors back up and see if I can tone them down a hair. Thanks again!

i suspect its because

alot of stuff is fighting for space in the mix. (mid heavy as stated above). The programmed drums are buried and hard to hear. I think they need to be a little more up front for this style. The music sort of reminds me of Dimmu Borgir in some aspects. Maybe not as fast but it sounds like some of their more thrashy material.

I like what I hear from my ear buds at work. I don't mind the drums being back a bit if they are programmed. Not an over polished mix, which is good for this style, but it is a tad muddy.

Seems a bit muddy...

FWIW...

cut around 200Hz with a fairly broad BW...

the kit is really way back...

the snare has no bite...

The guitars are wide but the kit is really narrow... while the the cymbals are panned, there's little space...

I went back after reading the replies and found some erronious entries in my EQ settings. I went a little more thouroughly over them a couple more times and the versions changed considerably. See for yourself!

I think you will find it a little more pleasing to the palette. ;)

VesuviusJay said:
I went back after reading the replies and found some erronious entries in my EQ settings. I went a little more thouroughly over them a couple more times and the versions changed considerably. See for yourself!

I think you will find it a little more pleasing to the palette. ;)

Better.

Here is a mix of a band I recorded this Fall with the same style.

Ashes Fall

Back