A few hard rock demo home recordings....

Beaverbee

Please give me some feedback/criticism on these songs... I recorded them for my band When Echos Fail and they are close to my first finished mixes. Unfortunately my hard drive crashed mid mix and I had no backups so this is the best versions we have of them. Thank you!!

(ps- this is also without the bass guitar, HD crash before he could record)

http://www.reverbnation.com/whenechosfail

Hey. Sounds like some good stuff here. The HD crash sucks, I've had that happen too. It'll almost make you want to quit. I really liked the build up for Whispers. Honestly, I didnt listen to the whole thing as my ADD is kicking in (6 songs is alot to review in one post) and I want to listen to a bit of each one. Overall, you have a pretty good sound. I'm not gonna critique the mixes since they're not finished, but I'd like to hear them a little more complete

The bit rate is really low, it's kinda breaking up entirely in places and quite hard to listen to.

Maybe it would be worth uploading one higher quality version. It would be much easier to be constructive and helpful then :)

Thanks Jim. Yes indeed I havent even turned on my recording pc since it happened. I have been fighting with the hardrive to give me something back but it seems futile. I am going to invest in two portables and use one for a back up and resume recording hopefully in the next few weeks. I have learned alot more in this downtime so hopefully the mix will make it to completion so I can get some kind of feedback. That buildup was fun to make, but I am more interested to see if I should continue to pursue home recording or "give in" and pay a professional to do my demos from now on. I think Im on the right track but my confidence might be masking the truth :) Thanks for the reply!

Listening "Eyes sewn shut"! It keeps me very interesting. I think I'll stay on your page rest of my working day.
Nice stuff. This is kind a vocal I really like. When I try to record it gets messy. It's probably my mic Studio Project B something.
"Again" is on now with quite different sound. Kick drum is very thin. Still very good stuff.

sikter

Dude, sorry about the drive crash. Happened to me once. A nightmare. Audio drive and backup for it is definitely the way to go.

Really diggin the tunes man! Come back when you get up and running again. :)

I really dig your style, man.
The songs are very well performed. The recordings though, do not do them justice. It all sounds too thin, especially the guitar sound. With this style, the sound should be kicking me right in the stomach and that's missing. You're on the right track track though, so keep working at it and keep writing great songs.

Sound very good despite the low bit rate. Reminded my a little of Pearl Jam as did Supehuman. I like the singing style and voice (allthough I'm not a fan of the thrash growley screamy thing). Big shame about the HD, would have been nice to hear some better quality versions. The live track sounded good as well. Nice and tight.

Totally agree with Joey. The style and composition is excellent, but the recordings don't do them justice. I've lost some projects before due to problems with backups, so I know how you feel. I hope you get a chance to put together some higher quality versions of these tracks soon so we can listen again!

If you don't mind I'd love to know what software you're using to mix these tracks and how you're mixing the vocals. It sounds like some sort of filter or distortion is being used, but I can never achieve that sort of sound on any of my mixes. Is it the software, the mic, the amp?

Eyes sewn shut - the intro doesn't work for me as the guitar sounds like it's clipping or something. the rest of the song is pretty cool - though the guitars are a bit light & the vocal too loud for my taste.

Thank you guys so much for replying with kind words on the music. Just logging in finally after months and I have some good news for you guys :-) I will be back in business here very soon thanks to a much generous tax refund this year. I am getting some backup storage and re-upping some of my equipment to hopefully increase quality. I plan on starting another thread but do any of you guys have a good idea on what vocal mic I can buy to increase the quality of my vocals?

Totally agree with Joey. The style and composition is excellent, but the recordings don't do them justice. I've lost some projects before due to problems with backups, so I know how you feel. I hope you get a chance to put together some higher quality versions of these tracks soon so we can listen again!

If you don't mind I'd love to know what software you're using to mix these tracks and how you're mixing the vocals. It sounds like some sort of filter or distortion is being used, but I can never achieve that sort of sound on any of my mixes. Is it the software, the mic, the amp?

Hey Dynis, sorry its been so long... I recorded my new band with the same equipment, you can hear it here on Tempus | Reno, NV | Rock / Hard rock / Progressive Modern Rock | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation and i used a Tascam 2488, Sennheiser and Blue mics, and Cubase 5 to mix it all.

Back