"Fever Dream" -- I guess it's 'indie'?

zen_arcade

Dililttante.
Written and recorded in one go yesterday afternoon from butter-fingered germination to uploaded mp3. Rhodes, acoustic guitar, programmed drums, sub-par electric solo, vocals, etc. all by me. Not an especially happy song but I'm happy enough with the recording to share and I can't remember the last time I shared an original tune. As always, hope you enjoy and feedback appreciated.

John Charpentier - "Fever Dream"

PS - I guess Iron & Wine (or as Stephen Malkmus calls them "Beards & Vests") already nicked that song title so I'll have to change it. Regardless...

Written and recorded in one go yesterday afternoon from butter-fingered germination to uploaded mp3. Rhodes, acoustic guitar, programmed drums, sub-par electric solo, vocals, etc. all by me. Not an especially happy song but I'm happy enough with the recording to share and I can't remember the last time I shared an original tune. As always, hope you enjoy and feedback appreciated.

John Charpentier - "Fever Dream"

PS - I guess Iron & Wine (or as Stephen Malkmus calls them "Beards & Vests") already nicked that song title so I'll have to change it. Regardless...

The recording is good - I like the sound of the vocals and piano - actually everything sounds pretty nice. Intimate sounding and "up-front"... cool :cool:

Good

Nice tune and sound. I would compress and process the voice a bit more. Maybe a lot more. With an unexpected distorted drum sound in the chorus, it would be a hit :-)

The ride (?) cymbal is just a click in my h/phones - might need some clarity as it almost seems like static.
Good melody, nice playing. I wish I still had my Rhodes - I loaned it to a friend & that was 13 years ago.
The snare seems out in the solo section.
Not sure if the guitar was the way to go in that.
Nice rhodes image too.
Track down a drummer - a little humanity in that section would be a very unifying element for the song.
Classy & almost classic.
Well done!

Love the recorded sounds. I like the clarity on the vox. Different. The tune has something to it. Wish I could get clarity like that.

Only thing distracting I heard were some split-hits on the downbeats between 1:47 and 2:07. If you drums are MIDI...then it must be the bass anticipating a tad in a few spots.

Thanks all for the replies and kind words. I'm satisfied with the track though maybe the solo is a little over the top. Definitely agree that a real drummer would greatly improve the song but I record entirely at home, just me and the computer, and I don't really play music with others here in Boston. It's more a labor of love to keep my mind and fingers busy when I'm not working. Hopefully I can get more people involved on future recordings.

Thanks again for the replies!

I would definately compress the vox a little more. You have to put hamony's on the chorus. I can hear you have a light doubled vocal in the backround, but I dont thinks it goes with the mix. Other then that, some parts on the lead voc could use maybe a cool slap delay or something. Also a short transiton into verse 2. It just goes straight from the chorus to the second verse.Sounds great and I love the tune. Check out my chill song bro. Its called first chill song in the mp3 page. Its got the same damper to it. Love your voice.

This has a great melody. The Rhodes and vocals sound nice...liking the chorus. I agree that the solo is a little much for this song, not bad, but if it could be just a tad more subdued...good job man.

Not bad. The vocals are way too out front and kind of boxy and bright. They can be reduced probably 1-2db and still be fine. Compress! Drums are kinda loud too during the verses. Mostly the kick. Musically, it sounds fine. Acoustic guitar can be louder and the keys brought down some. Not bad overall.

yep

yep the solo, the solo, take the overdrive off, either drink a lot of alcohol or take some drugs get your accustic or electric out and repaly the solo (not coke but. it's sound too 80's like now)

then just add some Tube drive to it. but no overdrive. just my opinion.

basically just make the solo as "busted and intimate" as the vocals so no Verb.

great sound like it alot.

nothing other than that. just a great song. Fuck you btw. (you have a great voice)

Last edited:
What's wrong with "80's guitar sound"? It's just a matter of taste! Maybe a little off-tempo tho...

Zen you have a pm :)

Back