FenderW.I.S.C.inbad (cover challenge!)

fenderlikingood

I am so hesitant to post this!!!!!! I'm having that naked in school dream all over again!!!!!!!:eek:

This is my first "real" attempt at a song, and probably my last(for awhile) This is the hardest thing i have ever done(music wise). WISC had to pm the chord's, and i had to go on the net to find out how to form them!!!:o only been playing for little over a year, and that includes all instrument's. Intimidated is a good way to describe this. I couldn't even breath through my nose when i sang this( and you will hear that!):D there are some flatty's in here to.

anyway, enough excuses!!!!!! This is a cover of W.I.S.C.'S song "helpless breathless" great song!! i ruined it!

special thank's to jr#97 who helped me with chord's in the voxchat, and also gave a listen to a short acoustic clip!! so did gidge!! cordura21 was a factor to!! thank's guy's!!

is this the grammy's??? LMAO! let's just say that it's..dynamic??:D

mine is here....helpless breathless http://www.nowhereradio.com/droppincotton/singles

The original (W.I.S.C.) is here
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2180&alid=-1

Don't spare me!! I know it's bad!

I gave it my damndest though! and i enjoyed every second of it!

thank's to all my clinic homies!!!!!!

I think you did a damn fine job Rick.There are a few flats notes here and there on the vocals but you captured a really good recording here dude.Everything is clean as a whistle.(more than I can say for most of my stuff)

The acoustic guitars sound good.Bass is sitting in the pocket Ok and the drums sound good.The snare could use just a little more snap to it.I think the whole drum kit could stand to be brightened just a tad IMHO.

Good job buddy!This recording makes the reality of your current situation suck even more.:(

Hopefully you'll rebound real quick!

I dug the tune man!;)

P.s. 5 Stars for the amount of effort put into this and props to the guys who helped you out with the chords!This place rocks!

Kramer, thank's for goin easy on my buddy!!:D The drum's....it seems no matter what i do , i come out with a "blanket over the kit sound" bright is what it need's!! and the snare, OMG THE SNARE! no matter how good it sound's live, i cant get a good snap out of it! it drive's me nut's! flat notes, yes!~ lol i know i know....trust me:D I'm working on it!! damn i love this place!!!

Thank's kramer!!!!!!! for the stars to, couldn't have got this far without ya'll!!!!!! your right on with your comment's!

Hey Fender--I have two things to say. First, lets put this in perspective. When I had been playing for a year, I could not have created anything like this. I couldn't sing, could barely play, knew jack squat about recording, etc. So, in my book, you are way ahead of the curve. I think Kramer took all the words out of my mouth as far as critiques go. I really dug the sound of the acoustic. It reminds me of something, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what right now.

Anyway, the other thing is that you made the effort and came through with the challenge. Thats a A for effort. Oh yeah--you enjoyed yourself in the process. I love hearing that because thats the spirit of the clinic--not to mention the sharing and help. My faith continues! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Now, I gotta hear Whiskers version...

THAT FUKKIN' RAWKED

Dude, if you ever even THINK about leaving this place, I'll hunt you down and hold you at gunpoint while you type, lol.

I'm not gonna' sit here and tell you that it's the greatest recording I've ever heard, b/c it's not, but there's not enough money in the world that could convince me to post my first "real" recording... Holy hell, it sucked. The acoustics sound freakin' GREAT btw, and that's all that really matters, lol. And you're actually PLAYING the drums, right? In a hundred million years, I couldn't do that. Hell, I can't even get "in the groove" using looped samples to a metronome, lol. I can't comment on the bass b/c I'm on computer speakers, which I haven't done in months, but the computer hooked up to my monitors crashed right when I saw this thread, so I had to go to another one to hear it. I'll come back.

Here's my "mix" schtick:
1. Levels sound okay to me....vocal might be a tad hot, but again, big caveat on how I'm listening to this...

2. Vocal sounds a little more "distant" than I'd like....but not from reverb (I don't think so, anyway)...parts of it sound like you were really far away from the mic...or maybe it's a room reverb...hell, I don't know. :D

3. Acoustics sound wonderful to me.

The only thing that brings it down for me are *PARTS* of the vocals. A lot of it's in key, but when you go out...lol...you go ALL THE WAY OUT. Personally, I'd use Autotune...I mean, I DO use autotune, but I don't think that's right for you...I think you just need more practice singing on recordings...it's a totally different animal, at least it is to me.

I'm just glad you found time to do it, and I hope like hell you find more time.

And now I'm walking on eggshells b/c of Kramer's comment, so I'm thinking something bad has happened to you and that I should maybe go check the Cave...whatever's going on, you're a solid guy, so I know you'll come out okay.

man, this is a good shot. You got all the stuff it takes to do a complete tune, gits, vocals, drums, recording gear. This is pretty darned good for a first. You got the heart, soul, and playability too, all you need its doing it more. Heck I`m just gettin where I can play with my own drum machine, and dont sing a lick..

:)

Tokester!!.........Thank you!! and you are to humble!! your skillz exceed!! got your tune downloaded! the gear i have(had):D was just enough to get sound to the comp.

ChrisFUKKINRAWKSharris.....you get your point across perfectly!! your great with word's!! ..."when you go out, YOU GO ALL THE WAY OUT!" LMAO!!!!!! i really am lol!! that made my night!:D You dont know how hard it was for me to press the "submit new thread button"!:eek: i almost didn't post this, but i had to let ya'll hear it! because if it wasn't for this place, i would have never even got this far. SEE THE MONSTER YOU HAVE CREATED!:D
i can totally hear everything you are talking about, im working on the ability to fix this, but it elude's me yet! i'm betting some monitor's would really open my eye's as far as the mix goes.
now, the next thing out of your mouth better be........THIS IS THE GREATEST MIX I HAVE EVER HEARD!!!!!:D THANK YOU CHRIS!!

CRAWDADDY........I did enjoy myself, i love music!! and this was a huge stepping stone for me! you are right on the money as alway's! A FOR EFFORT.....YEAH, I'll take that with pride, coming from you!! as bad as this is, i'm proud of myself for some odd reason??:D and ya'll have everything to do with that! I wish i had 100 more songs to share with the clinic!! THANK YOU!!!

humbled, yet im strutting like a peacock!!!!! :D

i appreciate the listen's more than ya'll know!!!!!

damn i'm tired! i wish i could stay up and just watch this thread all night long!! :D

Great job, especially for a first attempt.

Sure the snare doesn't snap - but I think the deep sound of it goes well with your vocals. And your vocals - let's just say you sing out of tune very nicely, it doesn't bother me. In fact it adds to it.

The kick sounds great but might be a little loud. And I think the acoustics would sound a little better if you pulled out some highs or high mids.

Keep it up! Good work. And good song WISC.

the fender one-man-band. Man this is cool. Why do you say this will be the last, for a while? You should be doing this every day, dude. A guitar playing drummer.

Keep up the good tracking man.

Rick,
....first off, Big improvement over the chistmas tune, recording-wise (the content is always great:D ). BIG Improvement!!
For a guy thats been playing guit. for only a year, youve got great rythm. The bass drum groove was nice too. Nice stuff Rick! .....Im gonna go check out Wisc's original again.

g w/ a BIG 5

I guess I'm with Chris all the way on this one. Pretty good for a first attempt.

On the vocal thing: just like Chris I'd rather say 'practice a little harder/longer' than 'use an autotuner'. You're almost there...if you can do without it's always better (read: human.)

Keep on charging, man! :)

Sounds pretty good from here.
I dig your voice man.

Ever try doubling the acoustic and panning them at 3 and 9o'clock?
Just a thought.:D

Great job,keep em comin!

Pete

Awesome first effort man. Keep at it, you'll go far. I'd love to hear you cover the Crash Test Dummies. Your voice would be perfect!

Twist

P.S. I'm adding you to the "Mother Thread"

Man, that was great.. Your drummin's getting tight dude!!!!!!

The recording is great..

Nice song.... Is that Pink Floyd??? :D

I don't know if it helps,but I started singing to a commercial cd for about 20 minutes before I do a vocal track.

You know,something you can easily sing to,for me it's America.

Helped me a lot in warming up my voice.
Vocals are definitly the hardest part for me.

Pete

I kinda felt nervous with you as I was reading your post. Holy shit now I'm not sure I dare to post anything more either!

Hey nice acoustic sound. This is not bad at all...even for a lot of people after 2 or 3 years.

As for the vocal pitch. I'm just starting to get my hands around it myself, and I wouldn't know how to give many tips for performance. But I will say that not blasting the headphones will help when tracking vocals. AND when you listen back, and you think you hear something that sounds flat....it's flat. Accept it. Retrack it and do it better. No excuses.
That's one way to improve pitch that works for me. (I'm mostly just yelling at myself now, so I'll move on :) )

The recording, which has been covered well enough by others, still manages to capture the vibe of the original very well. I remember when WISC posted the tune and since he was Sam's friend I told him I liked it. That's a joke. Laugh. Seriously it's risky stuff and he's into a bunch of different styles. He's not afraid to use those styles in his own music and turns up some cool stuff. I actually like the rap tune better than the original "helpless", believe it or not. The production was better and it was a very convincing delivery.

Anyway...
Thanks for sharing this Rick. There really is no choice for you but to keep recording and sharing it with us.

SLUICE....... You my friend, have nothing to be nervous about!!!:D You are right on, i had the can's pumped when i was tracking vox!!!!!!! I can totaly see what your saying, as i was not hearing my voice.....I'm putting thaT in my back pocket!! As far as retracking goes.......well, i have to sell all my gear, and i was rushing through this to get it done by the deadline, and i need the cash yesterday!!! as of tomorrow i will not be able to record anything!:( hence the "and prolly the last" statement in the original post. But it is a sacrifice i am having to make, I'll get more stuff in time! Yeah, i picked this W.I.S.C. tune because it would "out" me (so to speak) very sparse acoustic is not my forte!
and i really dig the tune!!!!! it challenged me to my limit's, and i am humbled after this experience. THANK'S BRO!! when i grow up, i wanna be you!!:D

MUZE!!....... X 2.. Hey pete, how ya doin , bro!! oh yeah, i tried to double it, i couldn't get it close enough to "mesh" it was way out( kinda like my singing):D But yeah, i love that sound!! This acoustic track is "cloned" and delayed, it's as close as i could get. i cheated! Vocals are the salt in my wound!!:D Next time i try to record a vocal, i will definitely WARM up to a tune that i like!! GReAT IDEA!!!!!!!! for me it would be KorN or something:eek: THANK'S PETE!!!!!! i'm glad you listened!!

TACOVENDOR!!!!!!!!........ :D Thank's for the drumming prop's!!! (although you lie!!!);) You are to kind to me!!!! let me have it man!!!!! LOL!! dude, i'm really glad you listened!!! Although your head must have been immersed in a pan of taco meat at the time!!!!!! :D ;) that mean's alot , bro! THANK'S JOE!!!

TWISTed!!!!!!!!!!! I could totally nail a crashtest dummies tune!! (if i wasn't tone deaf!) :D "once there was this girl who" i sing that all the time!! funny that you mentioned it! Thank's for listening , bro!!!!!!! and for the proxy in the"MOTHER THREAD"!!
I appreciate it mucho!!!!!!! THANK'S TWIST!!!

PEDULLIST!!!!!!!!!!....... Yeah i agree with Chris too!! (scary!) :D I will keep on charging!!!!!!!! thank's for the motivation!!!!!!!!! THANK'S PEDULLIST!!!!!!!!!

GMONEY!!!!!!!!....... It makes me so happy to hear there was at least an improvement!!!!!!! Its even better comin from YOU!!!!!! sweeeeeeet!!!!! that's all i could ask for!!!! and at least you felt a little groove!!! :D A little is all i have!! your word's mean alot!!!!!!!! THANK'S G!!!!!!!!!

DANTHEMANTHOMPSON!.......... sup bro!!!!! I'm glad you dropped in, man!!!!!!!!! your always there with a word for everyone!!!!!!! way cool!!!!! see my reply to sluice as to why it will be awhile, or check the "add's" forum. i could go on for day's!! :D Thank's for the word's Dan, they are alway's appreciated!!!!!!!! THANK'S DTB!!!!!!!!

FPROD!!!!!!!!........ AHHHHHHHHH another glutton for punishment! i love it!!!!!!!!!!!! "you sing out of tune very nicely" DUDE!!!! i'm rollin!!!!!!! good one!!! love that line! I think your right with the acoustic, i eq'd a little to make it fit in the mix, but i didn't think to leave it alone during the lone acoustic part's! DOH!! I thought the kick sounded good to, i think that's why i threw it up so high in the mix!!!!!!!! :D DOH! THANK'S FPROD!!!!! I appreciate it!!!!!!! and i think my vocal's could grow on people

LIKE A FUNGUS!!!!!!!!!! :D

I appreciate everything fella's, i hate to bump this back to the top, but damnit, i won't be able to record anything for a long while!!!!!!!! Tell me it suck's fella's, i can handle it!!!!!!!!! :D

I'm afraid to even think about how W.I.S.C feel's about this!!:eek:

I'm prolly gonna get sued!!!!!!!!:eek: :D :( :confused: :D :D

fender!!!!!!!

very cool!! It's so funny that you picked this tune.. Unfortunately, I hang out with W.I.S.C in the real world :-)D) so this was extra cool for me to listen to..

nice acoustic sound.. thankfully all the negatives have been covered.. some of the backups sounded just like Dan.. I think the pitch problems will be straightened out in time..

As bad as I suck at singing now, you should hear some of my tapes from the beginning when I was only doing it for a year.. This blows any of that away, so your definitely on the right path.. The recording has a good sound to it imop.. I really like that acoustic sound..

One thing I do sometimes is use a keyboard/synth sound to play the exact notes that I'll be singing, then I just singalong to that and mute the synth later.. Sometimes it helps me to lock in, and now I only do that once in awhile.. In the beginning I always did it though..

You do sound like the dude from Crash Test Dummies! Your voice has a good sound to it.. The pitch stuff will come eventually, but the basic element is there..

great job my friend..

I am going to be totally late with my challenge entry, much like everything else in my life.. (hey, I was late on my phone bill too!) I had to finish that last tune I started.. I'll probably post that tomorrow and not show my face around again until I have finished the challenge..

keep em' coming fenderbender!!!!

I hope you and the others don't hate what I did to your music.. :D

Back