Female 3 part harmony 60's influenced song - original

igorw111

Hello,

I just recorded a demo of my new song. It is a recording from rehearsal (everything was recorded live with couple of dynamic mics so the sound isn't perfect).
I would really need some advices and suggestions about arrangement. Should I add some brass, tambourine?

Regarding the solo, I added a solo guitar over old guitar (so it could be heard leaking in other tracks). I don't want to play a guitar on solo part. Should I put a trumpet there or something else?

I would like to get a Motown sound (as close as possible), everything is recorded on a tape recorder

What to You think of the song in general?

https://www.box.com/s/pox2xe172ednmsldaryx

Thanks
Igor

Sounds great in cheap cans. A bit of background hiss but sounds like it came straight out of the 60's. Great vocals. This is my kind of thing. I could hear some brass going on in there. A bit of tambourine is always nice too. Guitar solo was a little too loud for me, but that might be the cheap cans.

Cheers for the listen :thumbs up:

Thank You very much :)
The guitar solo will definitly go out and be replaced with something else (still thinking with what).
As for bacground hiss - that's tape, but I like it :)

Hi Igor,

I can't give much feedback about the recording, but I like the song a lot. Really like the intro bass and find this sort of music pretty happy and upbeat, perfect thing to get me going this morning. Really enjoyed listening to it. Vocals are beautiful too. :)

My feeling is that the mix doesn't begin to live up to the performances, which are great. You might start with the vocals in the chorus - there are harsh spikes on the dominant left vocal. The guitar break has some sort of harsh highs as well. But my guess is that you'll revisit this one in a year or two and fix it up.

Lovely tune. Really like it. 'What a treat. You're as sweet as can be.'

Vibraphone solo! Think MJQ.
For some more ideas and comparison with modern recordings in the 60's RnB listen to the soundtrack of Grace of My Heart. Some superb compositions superbly recorded capturing the era - the songwriting combos are astonishing too!
GRACE OF MY HEART: Unwanted Number-For Real - YouTube
GRACE OF MY HEART: I Do-For Real - YouTube
GRACE OF MY HEART: God Give Me Strength-Kristen Vigard - YouTube
GRACE OF MY HEART: Born to Love That Boy-For Real-Take1 - YouTube
GRACE OF MY HEART: Blues Ain't Nothin' But A Woman Crying For Her Man-For Real-Take 2 - YouTube

Thanks for really cool examples - it will be tough to capture the sound of that era, but I will do my best :)

Great song. Very 60's ish. A little long though. I'd love to hear it with some Phil Spector treatment.
Thank You very much - it was my idea also at the begining (something like "Do I love You" by The Ronettes), but I really don't have the knowledge,courage and conditions to mess with the "wall of sound", so I thougt to go more towards the "Motown" sound that I really like also and I think It will be easier to record it in that style. :)

Vibraphone solo! Think MJQ.
For some more ideas and comparison with modern recordings in the 60's RnB listen to the soundtrack of Grace of My Heart. Some superb compositions superbly recorded capturing the era - the songwriting combos are astonishing too!
GRACE OF MY HEART: Unwanted Number-For Real - YouTube
GRACE OF MY HEART: I Do-For Real - YouTube
GRACE OF MY HEART: God Give Me Strength-Kristen Vigard - YouTube
GRACE OF MY HEART: Born to Love That Boy-For Real-Take1 - YouTube
GRACE OF MY HEART: Blues Ain't Nothin' But A Woman Crying For Her Man-For Real-Take 2 - YouTube

Thanks for really cool examples - it will be tough to capture the sound of that era, but I will do my best

Great song. Very 60's ish. A little long though. I'd love to hear it with some Phil Spector treatment.
Thank You very much - it was my idea also at the begining (something like "Do I love You" by The Ronettes), but I really don't have the knowledge,courage and conditions to mess with the "wall of sound", so I thougt to go more towards the "Motown" sound that I really like also and I think It will be easier to record it in that style.

My feeling is that the mix doesn't begin to live up to the performances, which are great. You might start with the vocals in the chorus - there are harsh spikes on the dominant left vocal. The guitar break has some sort of harsh highs as well. But my guess is that you'll revisit this one in a year or two and fix it up.

Lovely tune. Really like it. 'What a treat. You're as sweet as can be.'
Thanks :) This is just a demo to see if the melody and arrangement works. Now I'm going to re-record the whole song from the begining. The girls had really lo-fi dynamic mics and I will put some RCA bx44 and home brewd U67 on proper session. I'm planning to do a solo on some other instrument and lower down the rytham guitar.

Thanks for great inputs!!! :)

don't know if it's too late, but..

very cool sound/recording, performance and song
that live roomy sound on the backing track is nice imo. lots of vibe.
but yeah, it's a little too long. and maybe it would be better to keep all the vocals in mono centered too. and throw some reverb on it. springreverb or plate. tambourin too. really loud and tight. handclaps would sound great too i think.
vibraphone solo would be cool, like rayc said. or maybe flute.

Thanks :) I almost finished the proper recording and You wouldn't believe it, I did put tambourine and hand claps :) The backing track and vocals are recorded, now I have to record the brass section on the solo part and through the song.

It needs a bridge. And the guitar solo would be cool if it stuck to no more than 8 bars- characteristic of the period, so it could be fit onto a .45 record.

Sounds really nice. The lead vocals might sound better up the center with more reverb. I would like to hear more bass but I'm a bass player so maybe its just me:p
Looking forward to hearing the updated recording!

Back