Feedback request, Rock/Metal original

Precland

Hi all,

I'm looking for some feedback on a home recording I did. I've made quick low quality demos at home for years to remember ideas etc but I want to get into making higher quality tracks at home and this is the first one I've made a bit of effort with. I've got lots to learn but any thoughts or advice would be great. It's sort of a Rock/Metal track.

https://soundcloud.com/cohaagenofficial/forever-your-slave

Thanks everyone.

Chris

Last edited:
Imo the track was very good but I did not hear the bass clearly. I listened through my headphones, Sennheiser hd407s.

The playing was really good. The guitars don't sound too bad - maybe a bit too tame/smooth - missing a bit of upper mid-range. Singing was good.

The bass was kind of boing-y. Kind of that "bouncing rubber ball" sound. Missing low mid-range. It's also covering the kick a little bit.

The reverb on the vocal sounded a little strange and a bit un-natural.

Lead guitar sounded cool.

Thanks for the reply guys. I agree Music Box that the bass doesn't have the impact that I'd want but as TripleM has said I think it's an EQ problem rather than level as I'm not too clued up on use of frequencies etc

Very useful to get some feedback especially positivity on singing and lead guitar as they are my big weaknesses but plenty to work with. Maybe the reverb on the vocal should come down!

Thanks again

You could try sidechaining the bass and kick. Helps' with these problems. Check out YouTube for tips on that subject.

Great thanks, I'll have a look at it. They're midi drums so I don't know if that might create a challenge but maybe I could have one track with just the kick on.

Great thanks, I'll have a look at it. They're midi drums so I don't know if that might create a challenge but maybe I could have one track with just the kick on.
If you make the midi track to an audio track then make the bass an audio track, then you can do sidechaining I believe. I never tried sidechaining but it is great I hear.

Great. Currently the midi kick drum is on one track alongside hi hat, snare etc so I'd need to create another track just with the kick then convert to Audio but it shouldn't be too much trouble. I'll try to swot up on EQ and frequencies first and see if I can improve it that way

The whole track has a muffled sound to me. The guitars need more bite, the bass more definition. Your vocal could use less reverb. If you are still composing, I'd work to sharpen the melody. It's pretty good overall, but some of the key parts aren't doing enough to draw the listener in. For example, the first couple of lines.

Back