Project X: Feedback on early mixes

I just want to thank all you out there who are checking out this thread and I hope you're enjoying the very rough mixes so far. I'm still working on sequencing the drums - not there yet. Once they're done I'll add X6 to the folder.

These began with a single Strat which was heavily distorted, a mediocre vocal, a bass that was out of time and a minimal drum track that was just being used as a metronome. Then the Strat switched from massive distortion to a chorus, and the vocal was cleaned up a bit. Then, following an excellent suggestion from [MENTION=196982]keith.rogers[/MENTION], the Strat was replaced with two separate acoustic guitar tracks, both a Baby Taylor with minimal EQ - same EQ on both and then panned 100/L - 100/R... and the vocal was dropped, to be replaced with better(?) later. A new, cleaner bass track was added.

Great tracking/engineering - everything is so nice and clean. I'd begin playing with some compression, reverbs and delays to add some space and get everything to gel. I think I'd like to hear the drums and the low end/bass juiced a bit more.

Not sure what you're using, but there's a great free plugin called FerricTDS (Downloads – Variety Of Sound) you could throw on the mix bus and start with the Mix Glue preset and adjust from there. I might even throw this free Transient plugin after that and boost it by about 5 to 10 percent. Sleepy-Time DSP VST Plugin Archive! (Free Download)

Thank you very much - I really appreciate your comments. I still have several additional parts to add before I get into the processing side of it. I'll tweak the drums and bass when I finish writing the drum parts.

I began this a couple of years ago with some really sloppy guitar skills. I spent some time retraining myself to play guitar - chord fingering and strumming technique - which helped quite a bit in removing a lot of unwanted notes and frequencies that were muddying up the sound. I also applied a little of that to my bass playing. Both benefitted.

I did download FerricTDS and Transient, both 32-bit(?) so not sure yet how they're going to do in my 64-bit system without bridging. I'll follow your suggested usage. Thanks for the tip!

I went ahead and installed FerricTDS and Transient - they had to go into the Steinberg VSTPlugin folder to be recognized. Fortunately, Transient (I think it was that one) is a bridged 32-bit version. So both are nicely nestled in my FX window and appear to be working fine after a short test period. I'm not ready to use them yet which will give me time to read their manuals and play with them for awhile.

Back