Feedback for a newbie!

Hannah86

Hey guys, new to the forum, joined up to find a place to help me improve on my mixing. This is a rough idea for a song, done some eqing, little compression and reverb, any crit would be greatly appreciated, will be adding vocals in the next week or so and recording a live kit aswell. Thanks

recording test 3

As a newbie here, you've got to participate to get some feedback - listen to others' stuff, etc. Hi-hat is a little sizzly in open hitting. Assume this is a drum sim as the cymbal hits all get muted fast, not very realistic that way, and the drum part itself doesn't vary much. Bass could come up in the mix.

I agree it would help if you give others critiques. Don't worry about being a newbie. Critiques by anyone are almost always welcomed around here.

I thought your mix was pretty good. Good sounding guitars.

Bass was OK, but a little indistinct.

I thought the mix was a little stronger on the right side than the left.

Drums were a little programmed sounding. Pretty much a standard beat with a few cymbal crashes that were way off on the edges of the stereo spread.

A bit tough to tell much more without a vocal. But overall, I thought this was a good start.

I agree it would help if you give others critiques. Don't worry about being a newbie. Critiques by anyone are almost always welcomed around here.

I thought your mix was pretty good. Good sounding guitars.

Bass was OK, but a little indistinct.

I thought the mix was a little stronger on the right side than the left.

Drums were a little programmed sounding. Pretty much a standard beat with a few cymbal crashes that were way off on the edges of the stereo spread.

A bit tough to tell much more without a vocal. But overall, I thought this was a good start.

Ditto that.

The first few seconds sounded solid then at 0:05 an additional guitar or bass kicked in and there were a lot of low mids and muddiness on the left side.
The guitar tone was rather good besides that. Thick sound on the right side.
The cymbals were very fizzy and programmed. Also, while spreading them out to the max spread is too far, having them dead in the center is a bit unnatural as well. No drummer has their hi-hat right between their eyes.
I couldn't make out any snare sound that provided movement or punch. There was one but it was pretty far back and not very impactful.

As stated, the mix is really noticeably slanted to the right...or it sounds mixed better than the left side if that can be done.
Song should be cool with some vocals, and better stereo balance, though.

Back