Feedback Needed

NL5

Unpossible!
Well, this is my first attempt at a whole rock band - tell me what's wrong.....

Last edited:
The guitars sound good, and everything sounds well balanced to me. Much better than my first attempt :o !

The snare is a little on the dull side, and the vox can stand to be more exciting. There is still lots of room in the centre, you might consider taking advantage of that. i.e. doubling up vox on key lines.

Seems like the stuff is tracked ok, and the band can play. I just think you need to work on the mix. The things that stand out to me are:
1. kick sounds pretty good
2. snare sounds very dull
3. toms sound dull
4. overall kit sound is not fitting into the space the way the guitars are.
5. The guitars are close, but a bit dull
6. vocals are not sitting in the mix nicely. they also seem too loud, maybe as much as three db.

Reactions: NL5
caryindy said:
Seems like the stuff is tracked ok, and the band can play. I just think you need to work on the mix. The things that stand out to me are:
1. kick sounds pretty good
2. snare sounds very dull
3. toms sound dull
4. overall kit sound is not fitting into the space the way the guitars are.
5. The guitars are close, but a bit dull
6. vocals are not sitting in the mix nicely. they also seem too loud, maybe as much as three db.

OK, I'm going to try and fix some of the issues in the morning. However, I'm not sure how to go about the drums. Can you explain a little more about points 2,3, and 4? I already have boosted the high end of the snare pretty well, and I do agree that it is somewhat dull (the recording itself is really off on the snare - sounds unnatural). It just seems to get worse sounding if I try to brighten it up any more. Is there a different way to go about it? I would like to re-record the drums, as thats the only part I didn't record, and they were recorded way differently from how I normally do - however, that isn't practical at this point.

Thanks for the help!!!

NL5

Well, I'm not sure if this is any better. I think the Toms and Vocals are better, but I'm not sure if the guit's and snare are.

Any help is deeply appreciated!

Thanks,

NL5

Oh ya - the link -

Yooo What up brother? Long time no see , Hey check your PM's . ;)

Lemme say I love your mix man, it sounds awesome, honestly one of the best I've heard in here, and the snare did improve A LOT.

The only thing I think you could do is give more space to the guitars.. I dunno I think you should pan the guitar on the right side a little bit father away (meaning more to the right, the left one is perfect, but on the right side I can hear an empty space there. ) Everything else sounds GREAT man..

Check your Pm's so we can talk a little bit more and you could tell me more details on whats going on with you.

Nice work man, keep it up.

Peace
Jose

Reactions: NL5
Venejer_Jose said:
Yooo What up brother? Long time no see , Hey check your PM's . ;)

Lemme say I love your mix man, it sounds awesome, honestly one of the best I've heard in here, and the snare did improve A LOT.

The only thing I think you could do is give more space to the guitars.. I dunno I think you should pan the guitar on the right side a little bit father away (meaning more to the right, the left one is perfect, but on the right side I can hear an empty space there. ) Everything else sounds GREAT man..

Check your Pm's so we can talk a little bit more and you could tell me more details on whats going on with you.

Nice work man, keep it up.

Peace
Jose

Thanks!

The funny thing is, I originally had the right one panned harder, but I moved it back to where the left one is panned. They have been a pain to try and balance out, I tell ya what!

Anyway, check your PM.

Later,

G-

Last edited:
I agree, the snare sounds much better.

The vox seems to fit in better,

The mix sounds really good,
crisp clean and clear.

cheers to a job well done.

The snare sounds better. Personnally I would would like the vocals a little wetter, but like I said, thats my taste. Not a lot of verb, just a little to smooth it out.

However, the pitch correction is very obvious. Especially around the 45 second to around 1:15. Expecially at the beginning of your phrases.

But I really like the mix. Very clean, nothing sticking out. Great job

Double the vocals. I think the drums and vocals could use some more reverb too. Not a lot but more than is there now. Track some vocal harmonies. That'd help!!

Chris

In Tune Audio said:
However, the pitch correction is very obvious. Especially around the 45 second to around 1:15. Expecially at the beginning of your phrases.

Hmmmmmm...interesting......I didn't use any pitch correction :) That's the way he sings (and it was a one take deal, as we were running out of time). I'm going to try and work with the singer on some doubles for the vocals tho.

Hey, thanks everybody for all the feedback. I think it's getting close to where I want it to be. I will throw some more verb on the drums and maybe the vocals (I want to see how they sound with a double).

In Tune Audio said:
NL5 said:
Hmmmmmm...interesting......I didn't use any pitch correction :) That's the way he sings

Sorry, my bad.

No big deal, I was just kinda ribbing you. I actually tried to use pitch correction at a friends studio once (antares plugin), and all I could do was make it worse!

Also, like I said in the original post, I am still pretty new to recording, especially whole bands (I did a bunch of singer/songwriter stuff). On this I did all the mixing, and most of the recording (drum track was laid at the drummers house by the drummer). My mixing is pretty basic, just levels, panning, slight eq - verb - comp - if needed. I think I need to get some better verbs. I'm using SIR right now since it's free.

You did well with the mix.

I though I heard the pitch corrections because of that sort of "warbble" type sound at the beginning of some of the phrases. That's when you can usually hear the correction, as it catches up to the note.

on the vox ....this is probably more of a comment on the singer rather than the recording itself..but his voice is too sweet to go with the growling bit...prehaps fixed by the use of effects or asking him to sing it again or doubling it up !!

also i suppose the same could be said of the leadbreak..too sweet and wimpy to go with the grungy chords.

but maybe im overstepping the mark....is it cool to comment on performance????? sometimes its difficult to seperate one from the other..i suppose this could be viewed as your role as producer!!

Last edited:
Whisper the vocals the at heavy parts and place this under the main vocal so you cant really notice that there is whispering. This will make the heavy bits sound like he is really going for it with the screaming.

Guitar sounds too mushy--too much gain.

In general the drums sound too dry, and choked. Cymbals and high hat needs top end desperately. Snare sounds a bit boxy and needs a lot more crack. Kick could use a little more bottom.

Drummer sounds like he's playing pattycake with the toms. Make them EXPLODE. Right now they sound pretty limp.

Vocals too loud. Vocals needs more 'production' on them--maybe some reverb and compression to polish things.

Is there any bass guitar? If so it needs definition because I can't tell if there is any.

In general not bad--with some work this could sound good. I would consider retracking the guitars which are the big weak point.

Back