Feedback for modern metal track

sounds good :thumbs up: what, if any, reference tracks are you using? if i had the skillz i would always make my heavy guitar tone the best possible combo of 'the river dragon has come' by nevermore and 'i stand alone' by godsmack, with a bit of 'vote with a bullet' by corrosion of conformity sprinkled in :D

as for lead tones... the never-ending quest! john sykes whipped up some tasty goodness on whitesnake's self-titled 1987 album ('still of the night' has an insane rhythm tone as well). steve vai, marty friedman, john petrucci, EVH... all masters! so many others :p

Aaron Marshall's tunes (Intervals) always have the most amazing sounding mixes which IMHO are kind of the gold standard right now for heavy music.

This sounds good! I just wish the vocals had a bit more teeth or aggression to them (maybe some higher frequency boost or distortion?)...But, maybe what I'm looking for is simply a matter of personal taste and not at all that important overall.

sounds good :thumbs up: what, if any, reference tracks are you using? if i had the skillz i would always make my heavy guitar tone the best possible combo of 'the river dragon has come' by nevermore and 'i stand alone' by godsmack, with a bit of 'vote with a bullet' by corrosion of conformity sprinkled in :D

as for lead tones... the never-ending quest! john sykes whipped up some tasty goodness on whitesnake's self-titled 1987 album ('still of the night' has an insane rhythm tone as well). steve vai, marty friedman, john petrucci, EVH... all masters! so many others :p

Aaron Marshall's tunes (Intervals) always have the most amazing sounding mixes which IMHO are kind of the gold standard right now for heavy music.

Thanks for the feedback! I have been using Unearth's "Extinction(s)" album, Trivium's "What The Dead Men Say" album, and All That Remain's "The Fall of Ideals" album as references. I'm a big fan of the older style metalcore. I gave this album a bit more of a modern feel with the boosted highs across the mix, but those older school tones are my ideal.

The vocals are not my style but they do seem to sit in the mix well enough. The rest of the music sounds pretty damn good.

I know burying the bass is pretty common in modern metal, but I'm not hearing it at all. Is there a bass on this?

Otherwise, it might be a little vocal-forward.

Yeah, I agree on the bass comment... I don't hear it either? Sounds good to me otherwise... though the parts that you have no vocals, and it's just repeating the same musical parts over and over... like near the end specifically I noticed... you should always have something... "moving" or "changing", i.e. it shouldn't really just be a looped section that is exactly the same from bar to bar... something different should be happening... hope that makes sense.

Mix sounds fantastic. How many are in your band? Drums real or VST? Was this mixed professionally? Do you do music full-time? And how on God's Green Earth did you go from acoustic folk to playing professional-grade metalcore?!?

May I suggest you post the multitrack in the mix-this forum?

I for one would like to have a crack at mixing this track... I've never done metalcore before, but you might find others who can do it better than I

Best, br3ttski

Back