Feedback on mix/recording - Ideas for an EP.

CMolena

Hey guys, hope you are doing well.

I need your help with feedback for the sounds I achieved with this track. I want to record an EP with the same vibe.

The overall sound I have in mind is: minimalist/not overproduced recording, quieter/lower vocals and use mainly acoustic instruments (maybe a guitar part here and there).

Do you guys think that the mix sounds okay?

Link: Capitao de Industria - Marcos Valle (Ideas - Acoustic EP) by Caio Molena | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Thanks for any feedback.

An interesting song with a good relaxed vibe.

Some observations . .

1 guitar tones are nice.
2 lower mids in the vocal are boomy.
3 There is a little bit of pitchiness in the vocals at times. It sounds more like unfamiliarity with the melody, or an indefinite melody, and a bit of hunting for the right note.
4 bass isn't doing a lot and is hidden
5 percussion is ok, but again could be brought foward
6 At the start, having a guitar totally on one side is disconcerting, but it becomes ok when the other guitar comes in. What you can do is split the left guitar track at where the other guitar starts, and put the begining bit on a track of its own, panned to the centre.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback gecko, it's really helpful. I also noticed now that the vocals especially are really boomy. I recorded it with a 57, but maybe my voice will just sound better if I rec it with a condenser.

Thanks for your feedback gecko, it's really helpful. I also noticed now that the vocals especially are really boomy. I recorded it with a 57, but maybe my voice will just sound better if I rec it with a condenser.

Well, maybe. But maybe you can just apply some EQ.

Worth a try when mixing is to start with percussion and bass, get them sounding nice together, then add in the vocals. After that, bring up the guitars so that they add to the mix wihtout taking over.

Yes vocals are a little boomy and cluttering up with the guitars somewhat. Guitar is nice and forward which I think sounds pretty good, but as said already the percussion is getting lost and could come forward more. They are also only on the left which may be intentional, but I would personally thing they would sound better a little more centered. Good job though.

Back