Feedback, advice, suggestions, on my mp3

lolrecords

Hey There,
Was hoping on getting a little feedback, advice, mixing/recording suggestions on my song. I've never really recorded, and played, mix etc... on a full song before so any feedback would help. Negative feedback won't hurt my feelings so don't worry. I"m trying to get better at this! Thanks!

Attachments

• NEVER WANTED 9-15-12.mp3
    4.8 MB · Views: 31
The singer has a real nice voice. A couple of doubled tracked spots could be tighter. i'd also pull the doubled track down 6-8dbs. Harmony vocals would be nice. Some pitch problems just after 3:00.

I liked the song.

I thought the mix had just a bit too much reverb. Everything is kind of washed out. I'd keep it much dryer than that.

Bass seems just about right.

the good

-vocal performance
-guitar
-stereo mix/overall mix

the not-so-good
wheres the low end to the track?? feel like theres too much highs

Id also agree with TripleM with the reverb and doubling. Back both off a bit.

drums
cymbals sound not so good.
kick drum is sorta plastic-y for my taste, but thats more of a person preference
actually overall, the drums need the most work to make them sound more real
if this is a limitation to your setup, then theres not much you can do
but if you mixed them in this way, i think it deserves a revisit to see what you can do

Hey Thanks for the feedback. I agree, the drums are electric. I was thinking about using a new voice. I also agree about the low end. I was so worried about low end rumble that I got rid i=of too much. Thanks so much for the feedback! I appreciate it!

Over all, it sounds good. I agree with most of the comments but I would go back and fix the vocals about mid way thru the tune. There's some off-tune back up there. Pitch is out where there's some doubling in the vocal. I like the subject matter of the tune. Nice work.

I think this track has a lot of potential. The problem is that it's absolutely swimming in reverb, so I can't really make out many of the individual tracks. Back off of the verb, and you will notice that the sound becomes much more up front and in your face. The instruments should start to separate a little bit and feel as if they are closer to you. Some of the best advice I've had with reverb is that if you notice it, it's too much. It should give you a sense of space, but you shouldn't actually notice the effect itself.

Once you get the reverb sorted out, I would also try to make better use of the stereo spectrum. Try to spread things out a bit more. Right now, the track sounds like it is almost mono, with a rhythm guitar panned slightly off center to the left. Hard panning stereo rhythm guitars is a pretty solid place to start, so give that a shot and see if it works.

Also, as another poster mentioned, this definitely needs some more low end. This song needs to have a solid driving foundation between the kick drum and the bass. Sometimes, it can be a little bit of a battle to get those two to sit together. My favorite trick is sidechaining a compressor... but I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself... Anyway, I can hear the kick, but not the bass, so try bringing that up a bit.

EDIT: If you are worried about low end rumble, the high pass filter is your friend. High pass everything in the mix... and I literally mean everything. Sometimes there can be stuff lurking around the 30 - 50 hz range that you can't even hear, which can kill your headroom. Slap a HPF on the bass, and just adjust the crossover till it sounds right, even if that means 50 - 60 hz.

This is some great advice. I'm working on it this week, using all the advice given. I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Kudos to all, and this site!

Back