feedback on acoustic song

zoiks

Hi all,

Wondered if anyone could give this a listen and give some feedback?

I haven't got good mics (just an SM57) or a particularly good room, so the acoustic is recorded DI. I decided to see how far I'd get using only an acoustic on the whole song (apart from the bass), so the bass drum sound is a sample of me removing the lead from the acoustic, and the percussive sound is muted strings. At the end of the first verse, the track goes from mono to stereo, which was intended to inject some energy in, which hopefully lasts through to the end of the song.

My shortcoming is usually picking out frequencies to boost or cut, so any pointers on where the mix is muddled or too busy would be welcome.

does anyone fancy saying some words about this one...they don't even have to be kind words, any will do!

For some reason this reminds me of Super Tramp. That's a good thing. At first I thought the vocal was too far down but on second thought I think it's OK. VERY good tunage sir.

That's a pretty good song. :P

As far as frequencies, all I can suggest is that in my phones it sounds like it could used more highs and more lows...it seems to be dwelling in the middle there.

I could be way off. Nice song though.

ps. Nice mastering job above there. That seems to give it some sparkle

The accoustic guitar sounds nice...But the vocals at the beginning are almost completely covered (imo), but after the very first part they are just right. This is a really interesting piece. I really like the song composition. Ha sounds like something you'd hear on a bizzare movie soundtrack.

Nicely done,

-jD

thanks for the comments and taking the time to listen.

and eck, many many thank yous for the wonderful job of mastering! it does give it a sparkle, as monkey allen says. can i ask what you did to it? i need to learn! though i'm sure you've used equipment far better than i have access to...

seems pretty reverby. is that the room ? i think i would like it dryer...that's just me though.

you're minor iv fan. cool

well done in the orchestration

thanks cello.

the guitars were all DIed, so the reverb is all from effects. i'm starting to think that i could have eased back on that a bit.

Alright mate, like the track...

I'm definitely no expert when it comes to EQing and audio processing, so I couldn't really comment on that respect, however in terms of the arrangement and the sound you've got going, I like it. Someone was saying that it wouldn't be out of place in a 'bizzare movie soundtrack' and I'd agree with that...IMO bizzare would be as in a Charlie Koffman movie or something with a similar vibe goin on. This stuff is right down my street, not something I'd write myself, but I think its damn cool. I like the percussion arrangement, and how you got the sample!! (I wouldav kept that a secret myself!!) and I guess most importantly the ambiance of the track. :cool:

and eck, many many thank yous for the wonderful job of mastering! it does give it a sparkle, as monkey allen says. can i ask what you did to it? i need to learn! though i'm sure you've used equipment far better than i have access to...

No probs.
Glad you like my work.
I mastered it digitally in Wavelab using a Waves SSL EQ, an REQ, and finally an L2.
I carefully boosted the frequencies that brought out the best of the song, and I cut the problem frequencies.
Ive been mastering for over 5 years solid now.
Mastering takes a long time to get good at in my opinion. Its all about training your ears to know which frequencies you want and what ones you dont.

Eck

hey eck, I'm from Glasgow too, its a small world!

I reckon that deserves a high five... *High Five*

Kev

Arighty.
Im actually from Ayr, but my band plays in Glasgow mostly and Im up quite a bit to see ma pals.

High five straight back at ya! :)
So do you own a studio in Glasgow?
I just set one up in the bands practice room. Just got it going recently really.

Eck

Back