Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of my own self - original rock

Thanks

Exclamation Fear of my own self - UPDATED

Sign in to disable this ad
    I was originally just trying to come up with a cool riff for the tone thread with my new Marshall, but turned into a song of sorts.

Listen and critique..I can take it and I need help and suggestions on everything from mixing advice to arrangement to any awkward/horrible moments.

Version 1 Deleted

Version 2 Deleted due to Horrible late night mix.....check back soon

Version 3
    Made some changes
    1) Retracked Bass to get lower frequencies that were accidentally rolled off on pre-amp
    2) Changed beginning beat
    3) During verses Doubled bass. Second track up one octave

Last edited by Bruthish; 05-11-2015 at 05:27.
    Sonar X, Les Paul, Marshall DSL40C, AD2, Rode NT1, Shure SM57, and Dunlop picks, and cheap egg shakers, and Nike Shoes.

Thanks
    I say turn up that new Marshall and make the guitars louder. I think the snare and cymbals are a little too much in front.

Is that a live bass, or emulated? Either way, personally I think it could use a little more bottom end. I kind of like the tone, but it sounds a little thin for a song of this pace.

Nice work. Stop fearing yourself!

Thanks
    Live bass but I did high-pass it and can put some back in for sure. There is a clean bass and a distorted bass in certain parts.

I can certainly bring down the snare and cymbals down too.
    Thanks for the listen..and welcome back!
    Sonar X, Les Paul, Marshall DSL40C, AD2, Rode NT1, Shure SM57, and Dunlop picks, and cheap egg shakers, and Nike Shoes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruthish View Post
    Live bass but I did high-pass it and can put some back in for sure. There is a clean bass and a distorted bass in certain parts.

I can certainly bring down the snare and cymbals down too.
    Thanks for the listen..and welcome back!
    Thanks, glad to see you are still thriving, yourself. I wanted to make sure it was a live bass before I complimented you on it. Stick a little more low in it and let's see how it sounds. Is your new Marshall a Creamback? I recently got the same model, but it's a Creamback.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NotThatBright For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No unfortunately it's not. It's the 70/80. It's bright as fudge. I have the highs turned all the way down! But still has a killer sound and now I don't have much excuse for not getting a good tone lol

Thanks
    The drums up to 0:52 are too far back, then the drums (specially snare) become way too loud and the guitar needs more volume in comparison to them. Probably have to readjust all volumes when drums are changed. Think you took too much off the bass with the hi-pass - what frequency did you use?
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not sure what frequency I rolled it off at at the moment(not at home)....but I want to say it was around 60hz. Funny I actually lowered the filter a little before uploading but feared making it too muddy. I can put more low end in it tonight and see how it goes.

Drums in beginning are supposed to be distant, but maybe I didn't pull it off correctly...but can certainly bring the volumes of the snare and cymbal down.

Thanks for the listen!

Thanks
    I thought the kick had too much thump, but that could be a personal thing. Snare after 0:57 seems too prominent. Not sure about the volume on the guitar, it sounded fine to me considering the snare will come down. I didn't like that end. It just stopped?

I have to say, over all really cool song. Nicely done.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DM60 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks DM, your right about the end....still trying to think of a way to properly end it. Been racking my brain last few days on it but wanted to get it up here to get some input on the mix. The song is almost at 3:30 so I can probably add another segment somewhere in there.

I thought the guitar was the right level already, but like you said dropping the snare may bring it out a little more. Was thinking of a guitar solo right before the last chorus, but didn't want to be too much of a cliche' from the 80's lol

Thanks
    On the end, if you have it already recorded this way, just an instrument stop and fade, like a live show. Probably not describing it right, but a sudden stop, but all the instruments stop by the player. Song like that probably wouldn't sound good with as slow fade.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thread Information