Fear of my own self - original rock

Bruthish

Hair Metal Roxx!
Fear of my own self - UPDATED

I was originally just trying to come up with a cool riff for the tone thread with my new Marshall, but turned into a song of sorts.

Listen and critique..I can take it and I need help and suggestions on everything from mixing advice to arrangement to any awkward/horrible moments.

Version 1 Deleted

Version 2 Deleted due to Horrible late night mix.....check back soon

Version 3
Made some changes
1) Retracked Bass to get lower frequencies that were accidentally rolled off on pre-amp
2) Changed beginning beat
3) During verses Doubled bass. Second track up one octave

Last edited:
I say turn up that new Marshall and make the guitars louder. I think the snare and cymbals are a little too much in front.

Is that a live bass, or emulated? Either way, personally I think it could use a little more bottom end. I kind of like the tone, but it sounds a little thin for a song of this pace.

Nice work. Stop fearing yourself!

Live bass but I did high-pass it and can put some back in for sure. There is a clean bass and a distorted bass in certain parts.

I can certainly bring down the snare and cymbals down too.
Thanks for the listen..and welcome back!

Live bass but I did high-pass it and can put some back in for sure. There is a clean bass and a distorted bass in certain parts.

I can certainly bring down the snare and cymbals down too.
Thanks for the listen..and welcome back!

Thanks, glad to see you are still thriving, yourself. I wanted to make sure it was a live bass before I complimented you on it. Stick a little more low in it and let's see how it sounds. Is your new Marshall a Creamback? I recently got the same model, but it's a Creamback.

No unfortunately it's not. It's the 70/80. It's bright as fudge. I have the highs turned all the way down! But still has a killer sound and now I don't have much excuse for not getting a good tone lol

The drums up to 0:52 are too far back, then the drums (specially snare) become way too loud and the guitar needs more volume in comparison to them. Probably have to readjust all volumes when drums are changed. Think you took too much off the bass with the hi-pass - what frequency did you use?

Not sure what frequency I rolled it off at at the moment(not at home)....but I want to say it was around 60hz. Funny I actually lowered the filter a little before uploading but feared making it too muddy. I can put more low end in it tonight and see how it goes.

Drums in beginning are supposed to be distant, but maybe I didn't pull it off correctly...but can certainly bring the volumes of the snare and cymbal down.

Thanks for the listen!

I thought the kick had too much thump, but that could be a personal thing. Snare after 0:57 seems too prominent. Not sure about the volume on the guitar, it sounded fine to me considering the snare will come down. I didn't like that end. It just stopped?

I have to say, over all really cool song. Nicely done.

Thanks DM, your right about the end....still trying to think of a way to properly end it. Been racking my brain last few days on it but wanted to get it up here to get some input on the mix. The song is almost at 3:30 so I can probably add another segment somewhere in there.

I thought the guitar was the right level already, but like you said dropping the snare may bring it out a little more. Was thinking of a guitar solo right before the last chorus, but didn't want to be too much of a cliche' from the 80's lol

On the end, if you have it already recorded this way, just an instrument stop and fade, like a live show. Probably not describing it right, but a sudden stop, but all the instruments stop by the player. Song like that probably wouldn't sound good with as slow fade.

No I don't like end fades like that...so yes I will do something like you described. I think there has to be a better transition before that last chorus comes in too which would probably help the listeners ears

The break from 2:40 to 3:00 would make a nice ender for the piece. Just go down to the single guitar and stop.
Vocals are all over the place. Cool all over the place. Like the Ozzy-like vocals countered with the distorted harsh speak style.
Great guitar tones, snare too loud, bass, yada yada.
Can you get a little more variety of sound from AD2 on the crashes. They all sound the same to me. (there's a joke in there somewhere). Yes, there are different crashes going on, but is there a way to make each of the crashes have some variableness?

Good idea Broken...I had actually thought of that but ditched it before I tried it. But I may re-visit that idea! Thanks for the kind words. It has a lot of issues and I pick up a new one every time I listen to it...work in progress!

Dug the opening guitar tone immediately. The drums are pretty far in the background. Is that purposeful? Mix seems pretty light on the low end in general. There is very little meat down there. The bass is kind of being played like a guitar. I think it needs to be more percussive and more attention can be paid to the spaces in between the notes. That is pretty subjective though. Just sounds like a guitar player doing a bass part currently. Not that it is a bad thing, it is just a perception. I really like some of the more "ethereal" guitar accents that I am hearing early on. The distorted guitar tones sound like they were EQ'd an awful lot. I'm looking for a more open, raw character from them that I'm not getting, like they are "over-controlled".

This is a super cool tune to fall out of riffing out. That's how most of my songs come about actually. I write a couple riffs that work really well together in about 5 or 10 minutes flat, then it takes me another year to finish the song. Riffs first though. Anything that inspires is awesome.

I like the song itself. Cool stuff.

Very good guitar sounds. Vocals sound good too.

Bass seems like it's a bit light - maybe lacking in the low end?

Lot's of reverb early in the song, but it does a good job at setting a mood. Which is what I guess you're going for.

Good job.

Thanks guys for the input. I am hoping to be able to make some changes in the next couple days.

The beginning part I was going for eery...freaky..mystical...whatever you want to call it. So distant drums, lots of verb and so on was intentional.

Everyone has agreed that the bass is lacking low end which *should* be an easy fix. Is the bass lacking throughout the whole song or just the distorted bass during the verse parts?

Thanks for the comments good and constructive. It helps a lot...I knew I could count on you guys lol

Thanks guys for the input. I am hoping to be able to make some changes in the next couple days.

The beginning part I was going for eery...freaky..mystical...whatever you want to call it. So distant drums, lots of verb and so on was intentional.

Everyone has agreed that the bass is lacking low end which *should* be an easy fix. Is the bass lacking throughout the whole song or just the distorted bass during the verse parts?

Thanks for the comments good and constructive. It helps a lot...I knew I could count on you guys lol

Bass everywhere, IMO, Bruthish. I really dig this.

That opening guitar tone is stellar. When the drums come in the are way back in the mix....then later the snare too far out front.

I liked the vocals on this....especially the thin, high one behind the aggressive lead voc. Black Sabbathish. :) The whole song is put together pretty well.

Thanks Stu...that is straight Marshall clean tone! I love it. Everyone saying that drums are too far back in the beginning is making me wonder if they should be more upfront rather than my original plan of having them farther back. I will experiment and see if I can bring them out more and see how it sounds. Thanks for the kind words!

Everything has great separation, in my opinion. But I agree that the snare, specifically, is much too loud. Something about the distorted tone when it kicks in doesn't fit right with me. Maybe I was expecting a heavier tone. But again, everything seems clear and really has its own space. Vocals sounded great to me. My experience is way limited, so that may not be very useful!

Back