Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fauré Yet to Be Morphed

Thanks

Fauré Yet to Be Morphed

Sign in to disable this ad
    Pavane by Fauré

This track is a starting point for a collaboration between DavidK, myself and maybe others with the aim of morphing the original composition by Gabriel Fauré into something pretty different... altered phrasing, added lines on violin, guitar and synths. It'll all be retracked but I thought I'd toss this two-guitar reduction up here as it is, and update as the project progresses.

Any arranging ideas?

Tim

Thanks
    Sweet man, nice playing as allways.
    Good recording.
    Look forward to hear this when its finnished.

thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Timothy,

Nice playing , I am a huge fan of music that has a sombre like haunting melody. I look forward to hearing the work in progress. I like the arrangement on the guitars there just how it is!

Thanks
    That's really lovely! Hope that doesn't sound demeaning.
    Whilst I was listening I was thinking of a string line similar to the main theme in Grieg's Death of Ase'. Almost a counter melody.
    I look forward to developments.
    Cheers
    rayC

Thanks
    Very nice Tim. Seems to be a nice balance between the two guitars. I like the melody line. Tune has a sombre feel to it. Very interesting mood. Very pretty.
    Ed
    Honey Badger is badass...he don't give a shit.

Thanks
    Hi Tim

Very nice playing. Do you have the tempo of the song ?

/Jack Real.

Thanks
    Tim I just read your email, might as well respond here.

Sounds great. You definitely catch the mood and spirit of the piece.

Any arranging ideas?
    Ummm, about 1000 so far. OK, maybe only 963, I'm slow today

It'll all be retracked
    DONT THROW THIS AWAY

Seriously, this is not only fine, but this should be our metronome. This is the right tempo ( What tempo is this?). I can definitely work with this, especially since it is on two tracks. Cut and paste is a swell invention! The solo line can go anywhere, the accomp can fade in and out etc. I plan on putting a bunch of violins and synths and samples on this.

I am thinking of an orchestration similiar to my new orchestration of Malinconia click here but with more dynamics. Some of it can be guitar alone, guitar and violin alone, then as it builds go to some mammoth orchestration.

You did an excellent job on this! Crystal clear recording, excellent playing. Hey lets face it: after hearing your stuff, this is what I expected from you.

Thanks
    Naka, Gorty, Dogman – thanks for the listen and kind comments.

rayc – appreciate the idea re the Grieg reference and will look into that

Jacques – thanks. The tempo was at 85 bpm, done to a click, but it’s usually done slower and more freely when performed by an orchestra. With just the guitar duo arrangement (and no sustaining instrument yet) it sounded to me like it was dragging at a slower tempo, so I went with this to start out. That may change when ideas gel for more parts.

David – Glad you like the initial foray. Since we were kind of stalled with ideas for it initially I thought this would be an OK jump start for the project. It’s is panned at about 10 and 2, so I think I’ll put up a file that’s hard panned L and R for independent track mixing options. I'll send that to you later today.

It’s at 85 bpm, which felt good for guitar but it’d be easy to track a slower guitar part if it turned out that it suited the arrangement better. Don’t know if it’s best to work from a click track with this piece, expressively, but at least it’s easy to stay with. I’m working on other ideas also but I’ll be interested to see where you take it from here.

Tim

Thanks
    It’s at 85 bpm, which felt good for guitar but it’d be easy to track a slower guitar part if it turned out that it suited the arrangement better.
    HOnestly I love this tempo Tim.

A Pavane originally was a dance before Ravel, Faure and those other naughty Frenchies got ahold of it We can convey every emotion at this tempo and not make it into a funeral dirge, which it is not.

Every time I play this in orchestra, every conductor drags and drags this thing until you are begging then to move it out.

Don’t know if it’s best to work from a click track with this piece,
    Yes and no, we can work around it. I am getting pretty good at lining this stuff up and cutting/pasting so it sounds natural. Again, every time I play this, it has to come to some DRAMATIC ritard every 4 measures until its almost a stereotype.

I am absolutely convinced that we can keep this sucka moving but not have it sound like a midi file metronome-wise. The key will be in a fiendishly cunning orchestration. I can handle that, I have been playing this piece for 28 years. Seriously!

RAMI Guest
    Nice playing as usual..The mood of this is very European and sombre. Beautiful. I think I find the low mids a little boomy, but I've noticed that I always find classical guitars lack highs whenever I hear a recording. Probably too used to hearing steel strings to judge that. Another beautiful performance.

Thread Information