Falling (thoughts?)

Greykitkat36

Here's a new one I wrote and recorded in a few hours. All and any thought appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Falling.mp3
    5.8 MB · Views: 19
Greykitkat36, the Mp3Clinic works on reciprocity. You have posted many tunes without commenting on songs others have posted. Please take a moment to give back. Thanks.

I thought the lead guitar was stepping on the vocal. You should pan it out and turn it down during the singing parts. Your mix is too narrow. Everything is crowding the lead vocal in the center. You need to clear the crud away from the vocalist so that the nuances of the performance come through. Turn things down. You have a volume war going on between the snare drum, the electric guitar on the right, then the lead guitar on the left, etc. That tells me you are unable to decide which elements should be front and center, and which in a supporting role. Make that decision then remix accordingly. Lead vocal should be the focus. Make the lyrics intelligible on the first listen.

Good song and performances.

Last edited:
Are these midi drums? If so, step one I'd recommend would be lowering the velocity of the snare hit. Not only is it too loud for the mix, but the hit is too intense for the vibe of the song. That's a pretty heavy rock snare for a soulful, smooth song. The same probably applies to the kick but to a lesser degree.

The lead guitar should probably come down to match when the vocals are going. It's hard to gauge how much (as Robus said, it's fighting the snare), but it is trying to dominate the vox right now.

During the chorus, the balance of pads, lead vox, and bgvox is good.

I liked the mood, groove, nice guitar work and sparse arrangement. I thought the drumming was too metronomic, and the snare a tad loud. Also, a song like this needs the drummer to stop occasionally with a cymbal crash (e.g. at the end of the intro and the end of choruses) and also do some short tasteful fills, I kept putting them in inside my head! When I make MIDI drum parts (I'm a guitarist) I always try and imagine watching a live drummer playing on the track and visualise his/her moves. The voice needs to be louder than the guitar work, instead of the other way around. Maybe the organ needs to go up an octave for the choruses and back down again for the verses, to signify a difference between choruses and verses. I'd drop in and fix the muffed guitar note at 3:02. I assume the abrupt end is down to the track being a draft.

Back