Extreme Metal = Electro-Shocks

CarcPazu

Hi Everyone,

Here's a 3 minutes segment of an extreme metal project I'm working on with my drummer. The project is a 50 minutes song on DVD in 5.1 Surround Sound.

I would like to have you guys opinions on the overall stereo mix.
Keep in mind that it is a rough mix with drafted vocals, I have to build somekind of singing booth and re-track the vocals.

I'll post some more segment soon.

Krokmitën ''Electro-Shock''

Playing it back at high volume it has a strong overall affect. I like the ominous tritone guitar motif and the intensity of the arrangement. I think the mix could be more clear - the drums sound a bit muffled and the synch between the drums and guitar doesn't always feel tight.

Tim

agree about the guitars. cymbals also are a bit missing. is that a person holding down the blast the whole time? doesnt seem to deviate.

More human than Machine

Yes it's actually a real person holding the blast on a V-Drum. He can go faster than this but he's loosing strenght faster.
When we started this a year ago he could only last around a minute or two, but 6 months ago he watched Flo Mounier's Extreme Metal Drumming 101 DVD and something clicked and he started getting faster and could hold longer. It's basicaly just a rebound technique with the wrists and a lot of practicing.

Of course there's some quantized parts, but it's mostly a real human performance. Let's say in this segment we recorded the drum track in about 4 segments and did some punch-ins here and there. In the "death metal" world, his drumming could be considered a bit slow... The competition is rough.

Mr Rich: What do you mean by "cymbals are a bit missing", not enough cymbals playing or too low in the mix?

The vocals are really just my first attempts. I never really did it before. I'm practicing a couple of hours every day since I recorded those. I'll track them again when I'll be ready (maybe a month or so).

I'll remix with the guitars higher soon.
The thing is, I didn't really started with the mix yet. It's just like... very flat for now, I didn't EQed anything yet, no compression nothing...

But I plan to get that out only in 5.1 surround. So I don't really know if it worth spending much time on the mix at this moment or just keep that for when I'll turn everything into surround mode. I don't know... It's my first attempt at this.

Thanks for the comments! :)

I raised the guitars in the mix of 1.3db and I raised the cymbals a bit too.
I lowered the vox a bit as well.

Let me know if it sound better that way. :D

p.s.: BTW the song start with some electric noises, some people might think there's something wrong with the song and stop it before the song starts :)

Cool song.
The kick and snare really dominate the mix, I still think the guitar should be quite a bit louder.

Panning. Everything is crammed right up the middle. It's a very narrow mix.

Also, the guitars need to go way up. Did you doubletrack them? If not, you should do that. Then pan one left 75% and the other right 75% and adjust from there.

dirtythermos said:
Panning. Everything is crammed right up the middle. It's a very narrow mix.

Also, the guitars need to go way up. Did you doubletrack them? If not, you should do that. Then pan one left 75% and the other right 75% and adjust from there.

damn you made realize! I make a very stupid mistake, when I encoded the segment in Sonar out of my full lengh wave, I forgot to click the mono/stereo button. So you are right it was in mono. I feel very dumb now! :o

Here's the segment of the song, corrected.

Here's also an other segment of the song wich is at around 20 minutes in the song.

Thanks to everyone for the helps and comments.

Last edited:
Back