Experimented with real cymbals + fake drums...New song

Chibi Nappa

Well, my band has been writing new stuff, and they decided they needed a demo of the new stuff to give away free at shows when people buy our EP. So we stomped this one out last night. :) Because of its "demo" status, it did not get the real drum kit treatment (I am slooooooow at mic'ing a kit). V-drums are much faster, but the cymbals really sound bad. OK, 90% of the samples sound bad, but the cymbals are the worst offenders. So, we decided to go for V-drums on anything that would require close mic'ing (bass drum, snare, toms) and real cymbals with overheads. There is also one fake splash cymbal in there since we ran out of cymbal stands for the real splash. :) I think the results were alright. Especially for about 6 hours work in one night. Here is the Nowhere Radio address. It's the song called save8_28_03.mp3.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2823&alid=-1

The mix is currently very rough. Not much eq, no reverb, etc. It is essentially the headphone mix we had at the end of tracking last night tweaked a little bit.

I like this song a lot.

You've got some work to do, so go twiddle some knobs!

and you're right... the snare sound is dump.

By the way, the guys have informed me that the real name of the song is "Waiting", in case any of you were wondering. I know I was. :D

Not sure why nobody's picked this up yet ... but I didn't want to see it
fall of PG 1 again...

Sounds like you're going for a Creed-like production with a bit less edge.
Though this IS a roughie, and it's a demo, IMO the drums are mixed too low... and
there's too much mid-content competition around 2k... lotsa guitars, esp. in the
choruses and bridges.

Vocals end up losing between them and guitars... are you a guitarist? Just guessing :D

This is yer "Dawson's Creek" type rock music... reminds me of Flickerstick.

Pretty tight performance... it's a very commercial song... just needs that
style of production... but it's close to being up to par for a demo IMO. Could
get you some listens. Good job.

Chad

It's a great tune but in the chorus, the vocals are really buried behind the electric guitars, like really really buried. Maybe the guitars could come down and ease up on the cymbals.

The verse is nice, piano is a nice touch.

Good song.

Yeah, I am a guitar player, but not for that band. Still....good call. :)

Well, I've had it will me for my Labor Day weekend vacation, and yeah, the vocals are terribly burried in the chorus. I think that because I know the words to the song myself, I mentally fill in the missing vocal sounds even though they are compleatly burried to others. Time to get some rest and give it a final mix on Tuesday.

Thanks guys.

Back