Experimental recording so take it easy on me.

Nice job Sage97. Excellent vocal. I'm a big Croce fan and this has a good feel to it. I like the sound of the acoustic gtr even though it sounds more close mic'd/compressed than is my own preference. The sound of it compliments your voice well, but your voice sounds rich enough that it wouldn't need such a thick sounding accomp to have the arrangement work. If it were my arrangement I'd leave out the electric gtr and synth tracks, and do an acoustic gtr solo line or two. Just my own taste though. Nice job.

Tim

Thanks for the compliment, Tim. You always have a way of making newbs like myself feel good about our chosen hobby.

Croce and JT are the reasons why I picked up the guitar.

I'll try with different mic positions and distances next time. I still have no idea how to work the compressor (RNC) so maybe that's why the acoustic guitar sounds the way it does. Maybe I'll try to bypass it next time.

There were no synths used but I know exactly what you mean about the electric guitars. That was the experimentation part.

The one on the bottom (TIB) is also a Croce cover. This one has too much effects I think and the guitars sound too thin IMO. If you have some more time, give it a listen and educate me. I'd love to know what you'd do differently.

Here's the link again.

http://www.audiostreet.net/artist.aspx?artistid=8326

RNC suggestion for ac gtr

I still have no idea how to work the compressor (RNC)
IMO, the RNC keeps a very natural ac gtr sound with:
1) Supernice mode
2) the ratio, attack and release knobs at the 12 o'clock positions (Remember that the printed settings on the RNC's face are for regular mode adjustments but don't mean much in supernice mode.)
3) threshold set so that gain reduction only occurs every few seconds, and none most of the time
4) gain reduction of 4-6 dB at peaks, 0-2 dB most of the time

Tim

Sage, I'm listening on laptop, low fi due to dialup. Take it for that....

Sounds good though. I can hear acoustic guitar, and good vocals. Electric sounds pretty good also. I'll give a listen when I get home, but that will be in a week. Definitely a good start.
Ed

Timothy Lawler said:
IMO, the RNC keeps a very natural ac gtr sound with:
1) Supernice mode
2) the ratio, attack and release knobs at the 12 o'clock positions (Remember that the printed settings on the RNC's face are for regular mode adjustments but don't mean much in supernice mode.)
3) threshold set so that gain reduction only occurs every few seconds, and none most of the time
4) gain reduction of 4-6 dB at peaks, 0-2 dB most of the time

Tim
This is exactly what I need. Will print this and keep it next to the RNC. I'll try these settings tonight. I'm thinking about doing an all acoustic version of T.Petty's "Learning to Fly."

Thanks very much, Tim.

Dogman said:
Sage, I'm listening on laptop, low fi due to dialup. Take it for that....

Sounds good though. I can hear acoustic guitar, and good vocals. Electric sounds pretty good also. I'll give a listen when I get home, but that will be in a week. Definitely a good start.
Ed
Thanks Ed. Look forward to your recommendations as well.

The one on the bottom (TIB) is also a Croce cover. This one has too much effects I think and the guitars sound too thin IMO... I'd love to know what you'd do differently.
Another good track and again, I like the vocal a lot. Maybe the gtr playing's a bit masked by the reverb. If it were mine I'd cut out most of the reverb. On my own stuff reverb always sounds good to me when I first apply it - the more the better - but the next day, and especially over time I like tracks I've done better without much reverb. IMO reverb's like a sugar coating that makes something sound generically good but used too much it hides the personal qualities in the performance that make it expressive. About guitar tone.. in the long run I think the easiest and best sounding way to record a full bodied guitar tone is to figure out ways to make the guitar sound so good in the room that a mic can't help but hear it that way!

Tim

Ernie,

I really liked your voice on TIB, very relaxed and nice to listen to. Your playing is very nice. Yes, I would definitely back off on all the effects on that. BTW, why even use compression on a guitar like a Goodall? The Goodall naturally sounds awesome!

In NY, your vocals sound almost too relaxed, and as you stated before, maybe due to singing in that low of a register for your voice, which sounds completely different in TIB. Also, I would speed up the tempo a bit on that song. As far as the background guitar (which sounds like a synthesizer), I like the first couple times it was used in the middle of the song, but at the end, it got overdone and not nice to listen to. I loved the way you played that song!

Finally, you have a lovely voice and you play very well. That being said, I would love to hear you play and sing a David Gates tune: "If", "Diary", "Make It With You", "Everything I Own", with just a tad of reverb on voice and guitar, no compression. Just you and that Goodall my friend!

Oh ya, and dude, you are as solo as anyone, and you should be out there singing for people regularly. I am sure anyone would agree.

If you get a thumbs up from Timothy, that's a good thing, he is a very talented player.

Last edited:
Rick Shepherd said:
Ernie,

I really liked your voice on TIB, very relaxed and nice to listen to. Your playing is very nice. Yes, I would definitely back off on all the effects on that. BTW, why even use compression on a guitar like a Goodall? The Goodall naturally sounds awesome!

In NY, your vocals sound almost too relaxed, and as you stated before, maybe due to singing in that low of a register for your voice, which sounds completely different in TIB. Also, I would speed up the tempo a bit on that song. As far as the background guitar (which sounds like a synthesizer), I like the first couple times it was used in the middle of the song, but at the end, it got overdone and not nice to listen to. I loved the way you played that song!

Finally, you have a lovely voice and you play very well. That being said, I would love to hear you play and sing a David Gates tune: "If", "Diary", "Make It With You", "Everything I Own", with just a tad of reverb on voice and guitar, no compression. Just you and that Goodall my friend!

Oh ya, and dude, you are as solo as anyone, and you should be out there singing for people regularly. I am sure anyone would agree.

If you get a thumbs up from Timothy, that's a good thing, he is a very talented player.
WOW!

Thanks Rick!

TIB was actually with a Taylor that has now been sold. New York is too low of a pitch for me making me sound like I'm trying too hard.

I'll try to record a couple of these songs within the next few days, limit the effects and hope they turn out better.

Thanks again for the encouraging workds.

Back