Experienced with R&B??? Please Critique My Mix...

Your voice is soulful and pleasant. A good voice for R&B. There were some pitch issues. For example, just after 0:20 "kind" in the line "kind of funny" sounded flat to my ears. Nothing that can't be fixed with practice.

My pleasure. I look to the forum for feedback as well. Regarding the mix, the lead vocal sounded a bit roomy to me. Not sure if that is ambiance from your recording space or reverb that you added. I though the background vocals were a bit too prominent. Just personal taste.

I think the tune has a great tone and timing wise it's tight. The vocal has some pitch issues like has already been said. I would resing it a few times and then cut and past the best vocal passages from whichever tracks didn't have a pitch issue. I tell everyone who posts something with minor pitch issues to do that. Because it works. If you do that you can pretty much cut and paste a perfect vocal track. Don't use a pitch correction plug in....they are over used in R&B in my opinion. Also, the voice that came in at the end of the song had to much volume and presence. It sounded almost like it was recorded as an after thought and not compressed, eq'd, and mixed in. I would suggest taking some time and working on that vocal to make it blend better.
Like I said I though the tone was great and the mix was over all good. I loved the hand claps and the ticking...it went along with the lyric very well. Get a solid vocal performance laid down and you will have a really good piece if work.

great effort man!

I think the tune has a great tone and timing wise it's tight. The vocal has some pitch issues like has already been said. I would resing it a few times and then cut and past the best vocal passages from whichever tracks didn't have a pitch issue. I tell everyone who posts something with minor pitch issues to do that. Because it works. If you do that you can pretty much cut and paste a perfect vocal track. Don't use a pitch correction plug in....they are over used in R&B in my opinion. Also, the voice that came in at the end of the song had to much volume and presence. It sounded almost like it was recorded as an after thought and not compressed, eq'd, and mixed in. I would suggest taking some time and working on that vocal to make it blend better.
Like I said I though the tone was great and the mix was over all good. I loved the hand claps and the ticking...it went along with the lyric very well. Get a solid vocal performance laid down and you will have a really good piece if work.

great effort man!

Jimistone thanks man, great insight, great advise, and great balance in your feedback.

I appreciate your help man!!! Thanks Alot!!!

Back