everything

dobro

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1075&alid=-1

'everything'

My studio's days are numbered. We can see the bulldozers through the trees, things are getting noisier every day, and it's just a matter of time before we have to move (they're putting an expressway just beside our place - two years of construction noise and then six lanes of heavy traffic 24/7). So we're outta here. I want to get this album done before my studio goes tits up. So my whole life is organized and centered around the production of music. That's why I'm posting stuff here about once a week. It'll slow down soon enough, honest.

dobro said:
It'll slow down soon enough, honest.

That's unfortunate.

Paul, you're stuff is improving exponentially in my opinion. Particularly in its energy. I am loving the chorus in this. I really like the vocals in this one, and I think you've mixed them just right.
I gotta shut up for a sec...it's getting even better...

Wow, what a terrific build-up!!!

Second listen...

Damn, I like this leaps and bounds over your other stuff. Don't take that wrong, I love your music, but this one just really grabs me.

My only mix comment might be maybe a little warmer bass sound. I found it a bit distracting...not a lot, just enough to pull me away here and there from the excellent vocal ideas.

Let us know when that cd is done. I expect it will be very good after hearing this tune.

Tom

Hey Dobro -- More great stuff. If what I have heard so far is all going on your album, then this thing is going to rock. I need to know where I can get a copy!

Very cool one here. A little more low-key. I dig your vocals (on this they kind of remind me of Dylan a little bit - meant in a good way) :D

Everything sounds mixed well over here. I like the chorus and the use of delay (?) towards the end. This is very cool. Love that build up!

:D

dobro

You must get settled in to your new place quickly so you can keep giving us the gift of your unique musical vision.

Hell, if it's too crowded where you are we can always make room for one more talent here!!!!:)

This song really is something isn't it?
I REALLY like this.
Good luck on the move dobro..............

Dan

Dobro,

Very different song.

Sounds exceptional.

EXCEPTIONAL !!!!

Crystal clear. I hope to achieve this level of recording/mixing ability.

Dropping 5.

Sean

Talking about Everything ...

Nice quality harp sound in the beginning, the little froggy sound is cute.
The vocal is mixed nicely out front. I can understand EVERY word without struggling, very fine job !
That you have set up these sounds to form the basis to sing over is fascinating and very original.

I like these backup-additional-harmony vocals, and I know you are frantic now that you see the demise of your studio, and I'm very sorry to hear this is going to happen.

For the mix of the backup vocals early in the tun, try letting one of the backups be the 'leader' for the group:

example :

backup vocal 1 : 0db, (lead)
backup vocal 2 : -2db, (second)
backup vocal 3 : -5db, (third)

your layering and layering of voices starting at 3:45 gets very intense without being 'grating' , very, very ... nice effect. That's a lot of mixing work and we appreciate that work.

That you have written a song placing you as the central figure being acted upon in the song, and that song is about technology ... I think it's about sending and recieving data, is a big accomplisment. A lot of folks try to do this and it turns out stale and contrived, but yours is very original. Yes, you are developing a very original style.

One suggestion, when your voice is 'exposed' in the verses, the drum might come down 1db, maybe 2db, I realize the drum here is sort of a 'genre' thing, but it's as if you are standing in the middle of all this 'DATA', maybe that drum should be less intimate, but only during the verses, during the CHORUS HOOKS, the drum is essential as a focus point, and for dynamic contrast, it can come back up ...

The mix cuts off a little early, at 'yakking', at about 3:55 ...

I could listen to this over, and over again ... it's smooth

This is a groovy song dude, a KEEPER !

The vocals on this are really wierd. Did you mean to sing it like this? :p

Outside of that, I'm really liking this. Kinda like Primus meeting King Crimson via Peter Gabriel.

Excellent. Yeah, I hear Dylan in this (and how could that *not* be a compliment?). I think I agree that a slightly "bassier" bass might be cool. But that just depends on what you're going for - it doesn't sound bad as is. The low end is definitely dominated by the kick here.

Great freakin' singing on this.

Chris

Nice production. The sour note in the last chorus was cool. Song was well laid out, I liked the extra rounds of the chourus at the end.

This strikes me one of those mixes that would proably sound just as good on a home stereo. No big subsonics and lots of punch.

I'm not too sure about the very ending.

Pretty unique stuff.
I liked the production,nice clean recording.

Vocals were the best part,nice interplay.

Good luck on the new studio!

Pete

Song written in Thread Header

Dobro, look closely at the Header of this New Thread ... you've got the foundation for writing a fine song ... about the studio and the new highway !!!

:D

you need to replace that MIDI harp crap in the beginning with a real banjo!:D

but seriously...since I've had banjo finger rolls engrained in my skull for the last month, that's all I heard!

The kick drum kinda knocks my head sidewayz in the cans... but medication can fix that, I believe.

the vocals seem a little on the "cutesy" side...but I suppose fit the "genre" you've made up.

I'd dump the gtr solo. It sounds too beginner-ish and you don't really need it.

other than pulling the kick back about 645.84 dB, it's a pretty groovy tune.

Maybe gets a little overmultitracked at the end too...

oh btw....I really love that KIND of bass sound. What are doing down there? It seems even more clearer than stuff in the past. I LOVE that sound. A piano on steroids kinda thing.

Sluice - hey, thanks, you're really encouraging. But about the bass sound, which one? The bass that goes through the whole song, or the second bass that plays only during the break? Also, what do you mean by 'warmer'?

boyd, Groucho - every vocal take I did was sounding pretty bland, so I started exaggerating and distorting the sentiments and sounds to get something I could live with. Maybe that's what Dylan's been doing too. :D I learned something from this: I have to sing it in a way that makes me *feel* like the song is supposed to make me feel - however that comes out sounding, so be it.

Hevy - thanks for the well wishes. Today my wife and I went looking at places. She chose the places. The first places were too expensive and the second places were too small and no room for a studio. Next time, *I* choose the places to view. LOL

smellyfuzz - hey, glad you liked it.

studioviols - thanks for that indepth review. I haven't had time to get back at that mix, but I'm going to try out that layering idea to see what it sounds like. And feedback about the kick is invaluable - my monitors go down to only about 70 Hz reliably.

As for your song idea - yeah, a neighbor gave me a special mic for my minidisk recorder so I can go out and record the diggers working on the road - he figures that I can use the regular rhythm of the machine for a loop to a song. LOL

Doug - thanks for your thoughts

muzeman - thanks for the 'good luck' - it's taken me a long time to get this studio together so that it sounds okay - it's a sadness to lose it.

Shaky Tee - yup, those are the vocals, alright. That's the way they are. I did what I could, and that's the way they came out. :)

mix - "other than pulling the kick back about 645.84 dB, it's a pretty groovy tune." LOL - like I said above, I don't have reliable monitoring below 70 Hz, so thank you kind sir for that feedback.

"Maybe gets a little overmultitracked at the end too..." Yeah, I know what you mean. I want all those voices, but I'm not really too sure what to do with them.

Okay, I'll go listen to that banjo tune of yours. It's been on my list of things to do for a while (dialup connection, don't you know...).

Eh....

Loved it.

Again.

I'm a fan...

In other words: useless :D

Agree with SLuiCe on the bass sound though...almost grabbed my bass to retrack it and send it directly to you without asking first but I didn't do it because I was afraid it might come across as arrogant... :)

Your mix is freakin' great as usual.

I like this, especially the chorus where the vocal pans, you are doing are interesting things with your voice. Given the lyrics, it's really cool especially at the end where 'everyone's talking' .

Good job dobro.

Ahh... love it. What's that japanese harp called? (too lazy to look it up) but... yeah. Your guitar is a good mimic. Aw, yeah!! Listen to that. Some FUNK. How'd you do THAT? :p

Funk. Actual FUNK in dobro's song... (the accent on the 1 beat). Love. This is friggin sweeeet. What a way to finish the night :)

How do you set up? Do you just create a palette of sounds, then combine stuff? These are sounds one does not normally hear ... esp. from the standard equipment of a bass guitar, electric guitar, acoustic, and a voice.

I love the cheeze just DRIPPING off that funk-bass patch ;) Raunchy, small little character... right out of huggy-bear Starsky & Hutch.

It's so hard to listen for nitpicks, when the content is this original. Way to go.

Abrupt cut-off.

Sweet.

BANG -----> *****

C

This could be my favorite of yours, and I really like everything I've heard.

The vocals are awesome! I love those Buddy Holly-like falsetto jumps.

The kick is huge. I'd say too huge if this were conventional stuff. It works because it's experimental, but probably worth looking at again.

Guitar leads are compressed/limited a little heavy for my taste around 2:00.

I'd sure like to get my hands on this album when you're done. Sorry to hear about your living situation.

that can't be a real acoustic is it? sounds like a synth to me..

I'll agree about this one being extra cool! also about the kick drum having too much kick.. great blend of sounds! I'm no help here except to say lower the kick.. good stuff dob!

Back